Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

PFL and Flash POFs in different versions of Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My PFL POF file is generated in Quartus version 6.0. I modified my design and generated the flash POF with version 6.1 of Quartus. I am able to program the flash but it doesn’t configure my FPGA. Will the flash pof with v6.1 work with the PFL pof in version 6.0?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, the problem is that in version 6.1 the CFI POFs are different from 6.0 or 5.1 due to the addition of compressed FPP support. When programming, the loader needs to understand what is in the POF file for the flash. Since the additional feature added to this CFI pof file generated by v6.1, the PFL in previous version won’t understand this. Therefore, it will not successfully configuration the FPGA. User will have to recreate the PFL in version 6.1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I have a built a design with PFL version 6.1 will I be able to use a POF file from quartus2 version 6.1 or later (up to 7.2) and still be able to configure the flash and program the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, the only issue was when moving from Quartus II ver 6.0 to ver 6.1. Moving forward the POF files should be compatible.

0 Kudos