Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

using epcs as normal flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As we know,the epcs can be used as device store the program and configuration. but can it be used as normal flash device to read and write in program? how to operate it? 

Thanks in advance!:confused:
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In general, the answer is no. 

However, there was something that allowed this...a long time ago. It's an "epcs_virtual_memory" SOPC Builder component...see attached. It's not designed to work with the latest version of tools, and I did not design it, but it might prove useful to you...or someone else. 

There's a PDF manual describing how to use it included in the ZIP archive. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your reply! 

But there is a header file"altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller.h" in the HAL library that define the read and write EPCS function, i don't know how to use these functions such as alt_epcs_flash_write() and so on. have you ever dealed with these functions?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just checked in newest Quartus v9.1 with the SOPC providing an EPCS serial flash controller, which as described shall provide the functions for NIOSII systems to connect to the EPCS. 

"The EPCS Serial Flash Controller core enables Nios II systems to access an Altera EPCS serial configuration device connected to the FPGA. 

Altera provides device drivers for the Nios II processor which allows you to read and write the EPCS from Nios II software" 

This should do the job for NiosII based systems. I know there is also a VHDL module for systems w/o Nios II cores.  

Nevertheless, using the EPCS storing the config as normal FLASH requires ensure not to write to the false address (changing the config data...) ;)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply! 

Sure it's not safe to operate the EPCS as normal FLASH when there is configuration program stored in the device.;)
0 Kudos