Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16613 Discussions

SignalTap connection to remote board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm new to the Altera FPGA tools. Please help me in solving the issue 

a) I have my FPGA board connected to Windows XP system 

b) Altera tools on 64bit Linux system 

Out client had provided .sof, .rbf and .stp files for debug. The problem I'm facing is 

how to access board which is connected to windows machine via USB Blaster, in SignalTap running on Linux? Both linux and Widnows machines are in the same network. I access the tools in linux via a vnc session on Windows m/c. 

If it is possible to address this by running local/remote jtag server, please guide me how I'll be able to do that. 

Thanks in advance, 

Nishanth
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

its pretty straight forward: 

on the machine where the board is, open Quartus II Programmer, go to Hardware Setup > JTAG Settings and click Configure Local JTAG Server, configure appropriately 

on the machine where you want to connect from, open Quartus II Programmer, go to Hardware Setup > JTAG Settings and click add server. add the hostname of the machine with the board connected to it. now go back to Hardware Settings and change the Currently selected hardware to the JTAG server where the board is connected
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

But I have only Quartus II Linux version. The machine where the board is in Windows XP and I don't have Quartus programmer Windows version :( 

Is there Standalone JTAG server for altera available? 

..or I think I can download Windows version of standalone Altera Programmer and configure JTAG server in that, isn't it? 

Let me try that :) 

-- 

Nishanth
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, download the stand alone programmer for Windows

0 Kudos