Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Analysis for Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2695 v2 @ 2.40GHz

Sushma_G_
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to run hardware analysis using amplxe-cl on Linux and except for snb-general-exploration and snb-bandwidth analysis types, none of the others (snb-access-contention, snb-branch-analysis, snb-client, snb-core-port-saturation, snb-cycle-uops) work.

It fails with error "amplxe: Fatal error: This analysis type is only defined for processors based on the Intel microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge."

I also tried using "ivy-" instead of "snb-" and it says it's not a recognized analysis type.

The Intel VTune version we have is Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 16 (build 342405)

Please let me know how can I run the above hardware analysis types on our setup.

Thanks,

Sushma

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sushma:

Staring with Update 16, there are no “specific” advanced analysis types for IVB and newer processors. Everything is contained in General Analysis and Bandwidth analysis type, which now recognize the architecture and automatically configure to collect the appropriate counters.

You should view our tuning papers at www.intel.com/vtune-tuning-guides for how to use the data in General Exploration.  All the information you need about the microarchitecture is contained in General Exploration.  Also, the “Top Down Methodology” paper is available on that page and explains the general methodology (e.g., back-end bound vs. front-end, pipeline slots, etc.).

This is documented in the What's New for Update 16.

0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

Problem is, both the GUI and the command line say these are for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, which is confusing.

Output from version 17:

snb-access-contention           Access Contention - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-branch-analysis             Branch Analysis - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-client                      Client Analysis - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-core-port-saturation        Core Port Saturation - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-cycles-uops                 Cycles and uOps - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-memory-access               Memory Access - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge
    snb-port-saturation             Port Saturation - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Agreed and already noted.  Ivy Bridge will be removed in the next release. ;)

0 Kudos