Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Can't compile driver on Linux kernel 2.6.27... deprecated functions

AJ13
New Contributor I

Hi all, I've upgraded my kernel and I cannot compile the VTune driver anymore. It looks like some of the functions and macros used have been deprecated. Here is the output with build errors. I'm on Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu) which uses 2.6.27. I know that this isn't a supported version of Ubuntu and such, however but perhaps someone could do a quick fix?

/usr/bin/make "V=0" -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
CC /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.o
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function build_vt_sys_info:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:312: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:429: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function find_thread_id:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:769: error: implicit declaration of function find_task_by_pid
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:769: error: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function samp_read_cpu_perf_counters:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:829: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function build_tsc_list:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:863: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function start_sampling_ex:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3238: error: too many arguments to function smp_call_function
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function vdrv_init_emon_regs:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3600: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function vdrv_start_EBS:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3626: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function vdrv_resume_EBS:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3652: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function vdrv_stop_EBS:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3678: error: too many arguments to function on_each_cpu
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: At top level:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4408: error: unknown field nopfn specified in initializer
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4408: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Have you checkedVTune Analyzer's release notes,if your new Linux* kernel 2.6.27 is supported?

Actually kernel 2.6.27 is not supported in latest v9.1, so please work on some supported Linux* distros - e.g.Red Hat* Fedora* 8 and 9, kernel2.6.25-14.fc9

0 Kudos
AJ13
New Contributor I

Thank you for your response.

While I realize that my kernel is not officially supported, this driver will have to be ported to future kernels anyways. I attempted to erase the third argument of all calls to on_each_cpu, which is deprecated. This reduced the number of errors, however it appears that the macro find_task_by_pid was deprecated, and is no longer available. I'm not sure how to fix that one.

My goal in asking for help on this forum, is to generate a patch that will help all of us on newer kernels :-)

AJ

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

You have to wait for future VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux 9.1 new Updates to support newer Linux kernel.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
lukeci
Beginner

You have to wait for future VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux 9.1 new Updates to support newer Linux kernel.

Regards, Peter

Hi, Zhen Yu,

Do you know when Intel will release new updates for Linux kernel 2.6.27?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - lukeci

Hi, Zhen Yu,

Do you know when Intel will release new updates for Linux kernel 2.6.27?

Thanks.

If you have registered the product before and license still is NOT expired, you will receive a notice when product update is ready.

If you missed this notice - you can check current version on your registered products by go tohttps://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Register.aspx,

0 Kudos
YannGolanski
Beginner
I have a similar problem in the following thread. This is just for reference.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=61392page/1/#68280

0 Kudos