Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Cannot locate debugging symbols for file

Giuseppe_C_
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Vtune on compute node (I have installed intel_parallel_studio_2018 in a distributed directory by cluster login node ), but amplex return some warnings:

bsub -I -q poe_short -m n300 -n 4 mpirun -np 4 amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -result-dir my_result -- IMB-MPI1 pingpong
Job <945340> is submitted to queue <poe_short>.
<<Waiting for dispatch ...>>
<<Starting on n300>>

amplxe: Analyzing data in the node-wide mode. The hostname (n300.cluster.net) will be added to the result path/name.
amplxe: Warning: Access to /proc/kallsyms file is limited. Consider changing /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict to 0 to enable resolution of OS kernel and kernel modules symbols.
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Collection started.
amplxe: Collection stopped.
amplxe: Using result path `/users/home/sysm03/mpitest/my_result.n300.cluster.net'
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libittnotify_collecto
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib64/ld-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/users/home/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2018.3.222/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/IMB-MPI1'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/users/home/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018.3.0.558279/lib64/runtime/libittnotify_collector.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libc-2.12.so'        
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib64/libc-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done                                           

Collection and Platform Info
----------------------------
Parameter                 my_result.n300.cluster.net

same thing if I load the drivers sep on the node  (cd  /users/home/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018/sepdk/src;  ./insmod-sep -r) .

Can you help me?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Missing debug information for VTune library (libittnotify_collector.so) and C standard library (libc-2.12.so) is not critical to performance analysis. You can ignore these warnings but if you want to have more detailed information about libc functions and source locations you should install libc debug symbols which are usually distributed as a separate debug package of OS.

See also https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-error-cannot-locate-debug-info

0 Kudos
Giuseppe_C_
Beginner

Thanks,

the strange thing is that it does not happen(missing debug info) if I run amplex from the login node where I installed the intel suite

0 Kudos