Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Command line MPI workflow

Ronald_G_2
Beginner

Using the command line collection, I'd like to collect all steps survey, trip counts, memory etc from the command line.  Seems easy enough, run a series of collections each gather different experiments.  The question is, do I re-use the same -project-dir for every collection OR do I create a different project dir for each collection?

IF I use a separate project dir for each collection, do I use -import-dir to gather ALL the collected data into 1 combined project dir?

I'm trying to mimic the GUI workflow from the command line.

Thanks 

Ron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ron,

Yes. You use the same project for each step.

If you go to your project properties. Click on "Use MPI launcher"

We will generate the MPI command you need. For Example

mpiexec -n 1 -gtool "advixe-cl -collect tripcounts -no-support-multi-isa-binaries -flops-and-masks:0" C:\release_notes\advisor\samplecode2\windows\en\C++\vec_samples\Release_AVX2\vec_samples.exe

Note for collections MAP and dependencies you do need to select the loops you ant to analyze. I find it easier to do this in the GUI and then click on the "Get Command Line" Button right next to the Collect button in the GUI. After selecting the loops and clicking on "Get Command Line" we generate the line

-collect dependencies -no-track-stack-variables -mark-up-list=5,1,6 -project-dir C:\Users\kpoleary\Documents\Advisor\Projects\vec_sample -- C:\release_notes\advisor\samplecode2\windows\en\C++\vec_samples\Release_AVX2\vec_samples.exe

and

-collect map -no-track-stack-variables -mark-up-list=5,1,6 -project-dir C:\Users\kpoleary\Documents\Advisor\Projects\vec_sample -- C:\release_notes\advisor\samplecode2\windows\en\C++\vec_samples\Release_AVX2\vec_samples.exe

Note the -mark-up-list signifying the handles of the loops to analyze. You can also get these handles using the "report" command in advixe-cl but I find using the GUI easier.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kevin

0 Kudos