Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
4680 Discussions

Command line interface to match the 'Filter in' feature

mmakowsk
Beginner
Hi there,
I'm using VTune Amplifier XE 2011 (build 176374) on winxp64. I love the 'Filter in' feature in the GUI - drilling down into a specific function, then seeing what it's major components are in the 'Bottom Up' pane.
Is there any way to filter in this way from the command line? I usually perform a hotspots analysis, then analyze each result manually, but the number of results I have warrants automation.
I tried using the -report option like so:
amplxe-cl -report hotspots -filter function=
For any foo, I'd like to see the top bottom-up functions.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Krishna_R_Intel
Employee
Hello,
Thanks for using the forum. I can help you with this. Can you please clarify what you mean by "For any foo, I'd like to see the top bottom-up functions" ?

I will give you the command line for your purpose if you could throw some light on the above so that I know exactly what you want to do.

Thanks,
Krishna
mmakowsk
Beginner
Hi Krishna,
I'll give you an example. Suppose my call stack looks like this:
main()
algorithm1()
foo1()
foo2()
foo3()
algorithm2()
foo1()
foo2()
I'd like to know what dominates each algorithm.
When I use the GUI to perform a hotspots analysis, I pick the 'Top-down tree' tab and select algorithm1(). I then apply a filter (Filter In by selection). Now, when I go to the 'Bottom-up' tab, the hotspots displayed there apply ONLY to algorithm1(). I'd like to do the same from the command line: pick a function, and see its hotspots.
When I run:
amplxe-cl -report hotspots -filter function=foo1
There is only 1 row: foo1. Instead, I want to see the hotspots of ONLY foo1 (as if I used the pause/resume api). I've looked into the Frames API briefly, but I feel that if the GUI can provide this information, then there should be a way to get it from the command line.
Thanks for your help,
Maciej
Mark_D_Intel
Employee

Update 5 contains some new callstack reports on the command line ('callstacks', 'top-down', and 'gprof-cc') that may useful. Unfortunately, the -filter option does not work with these reports, but you may be able to to post-process the output. These reports can output in CSV format with the options '-format csv -csv-delimiter comma'.

Mark
mmakowsk
Beginner
Thanks Mark, I've tried 'top-down' and, after some parsing, I was able to get the same data as the GUI.
Thanks again!