Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Crazy core usage in vtune

Clift__Neill
Beginner

Clift__Neill_0-1609632433744.png

This is the performance snapshot.

Clift__Neill_1-1609632589226.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Johny_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This issue is fixed in the latest VTune release (2021.2.0). Can you please check if you are getting the proper value for "Effective Logical Core Utilization" in the latest VTune release?

Regards,

Johny.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel VTune Forum.

Could you please share the application and steps to reproduce this issue ?

Thanks in advance,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

I won't be giving you my app. I am just running the performance snapshot on a process that uses all threads on a dual 22 core system. So 88 threads all busy. 

I don't know if this is related but resource monitor thinks I am running at 126% of max frequency and hence 126% cpu usage. I haven't done anything to change the frequency.

Processor info:

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 22 Core(s), 44 Logical Processor(s)

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please try running the analysis on a latest Intel Hardware and check if the core utilization is still showing a strange value.

We couldn’t open the result file you shared in VTune. Please attach the entire result folder as zip again.

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

I don't understand what you mean by latest Intel h/w. Intel doesn't have a product I want to buy currently.

I tried doing a similar analysis (though I have different code running) on an 6258R and I don't see the problem.

I attach the compressed directory of a new run.

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the response. We are forwarding this case to the engineering team for further investigation . Could you please attach the entire vtune result/capture folder as zip from the platform where the failure occur.

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

I attached the folder above. What do you need beyond this?

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. The zip file you shared is the required one. Thank you.

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Johny_P_Intel
Employee

Hi, the files you attached have been shared with our engineers and we expect to get this issue resolved soon. I will update this post once a fix is incorporated.

Regards,

Johny.

0 Kudos
Johny_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This issue is fixed in the latest VTune release (2021.2.0). Can you please check if you are getting the proper value for "Effective Logical Core Utilization" in the latest VTune release?

Regards,

Johny.

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner
0 Kudos
Johny_P_Intel
Employee

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only!

0 Kudos