Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Different DTLB in different views

nicolas_wang
Beginner
What's the difference for different DTLB(or any other name) in different views like(process,thread/module/hotspots)?
Please point me to the document if possible. I've checked the vtune manual and this forum. Didn't find this explanation.
Thanks,
Yu Wang
0 Kudos
3 Replies
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - nicolas.wang
What's the difference for different DTLB(or any other name) in different views like(process,thread/module/hotspots)?
Please point me to the document if possible. I've checked the vtune manual and this forum. Didn't find this explanation.
Thanks,
Yu Wang

Somehow, I doubt DTLB query as asked by you could be answered either by VTune Book(VTune Performance Analyzer Essentials - James Reinders)or by any VTune manual/articles till date. Probably, Intel had discussed in detail about VTune useability for Itanium, but I doubt Intel had published any other documents eitherfocussing IA-32 orIA-64 or Intel-64 Xeon processor using VTune as they have done for Itanium.

Please refer "Introduction to Microarchitectural Software Optimization for Itanium Processors"http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219348_software_optimization.pdfto understand about VTuneon Itanium for DTLB as asked.

Hope it should answer your query to some extent.

~BR
0 Kudos
nicolas_wang
Beginner
Quoting - srimks

Somehow, I doubt DTLB query as asked by you could be answered either by VTune Book(VTune Performance Analyzer Essentials - James Reinders)or by any VTune manual/articles till date. Probably, Intel had discussed in detail about VTune useability for Itanium, but I doubt Intel had published any other documents eitherfocussing IA-32 orIA-64 or Intel-64 Xeon processor using VTune as they have done for Itanium.

Please refer "Introduction to Microarchitectural Software Optimization for Itanium Processors"http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219348_software_optimization.pdf to understand about VTuneon Itanium for DTLB as asked.

~BR
Thanks, Srimks. Your reply reminds to search my old download from intel. In the IA32/IA64 manual, I do find some DTLB introduction. I'll double check with the Itanium version. (

By the way, yesterday I watched two of your posts. One is CPI in this forum. I'm wondering whether you have got the answer and solution. I too meet the high CPI(1.6~1.8) meanwhile I observed very low DTLB/ITLB data so I'm wondering what that means. Your post give some interesting direction to read. Another one is the question in your referenced article in the CPI post. With that paper I also raised one question hope intel's Malladi could take a second to reply:)

In case other intel guy may also have the answer, I'd like to paste it here too.
"
I'm curious what's different of BUS_TRANS_ANY.ALL_AGENTS and BUS_DRDY_CLOCKS.ALL_AGENTS. I also see from some intel paper which uses later for FSB calculation. Could we say that with later event, the new ratio is representing the Data Bus Utilization Ratio? instead of Bus Utilization Ratio? The difference comes from "instruction communication"?
"

0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - nicolas.wang
Quoting - srimks

Please refer "Introduction to Microarchitectural Software Optimization for Itanium Processors"http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219348_software_optimization.pdf to understand about VTuneon Itanium for DTLB as asked.

~BR
Thanks, Srimks. Your reply reminds to search my old download from intel. In the IA32/IA64 manual, I do find some DTLB introduction. I'll double check with the Itanium version. (

By the way, yesterday I watched two of your posts. One is CPI in this forum. I'm wondering whether you have got the answer and solution. I too meet the high CPI(1.6~1.8) meanwhile I observed very low DTLB/ITLB data so I'm wondering what that means. Your post give some interesting direction to read. Another one is the question in your referenced article in the CPI post. With that paper I also raised one question hope intel's Malladi could take a second to reply:)

In case other intel guy may also have the answer, I'd like to paste it here too.
"
I'm curious what's different of BUS_TRANS_ANY.ALL_AGENTS and BUS_DRDY_CLOCKS.ALL_AGENTS. I also see from some intel paper which uses later for FSB calculation. Could we say that with later event, the new ratio is representing the Data Bus Utilization Ratio? instead of Bus Utilization Ratio? The difference comes from "instruction communication"?
"

Thanks Nicolas.

I am non-Intel person and simply I use VTune to do some profiling for my application as needed and than I try exploring myself. I did referred "VTune Performance Analyzer Essentials - James Reinders" book and David Levinthal's articles ( http://assets.devx.com/goparallel/18027.pdf )on VTune. Both serves the purpose to some extent in understanding VTune useability but they don't talk w.r.t processor specific EBS EVENTS and analysis, maybe in feature Intel will come with such needed documents/articles for it's VTune users.

What I understand the difference between -

BUS_DRDY_CLOCKS.ALL_AGENTS - This event counts the number of bus cycles during which the DRDY ( Data Ready ) signal is asserted on the bus. The DRDY signal is asserted when data is sent on the bus. With the 'ALL_AGENTS' mask this event counts the number of bus cycles during which any bus agent sends data on the bus. This includes all data reads and writes on the bus. It counts bus transactions initiated by any agent on the bus. In systems where each processor is attached to a different bus, each core counts only events it sees on its own bus.

BUS_TRANS_ANY.ALL_AGENTS - This event counts all bus transactions, whichincludes -memory transactions, IO transactions ( non memory-mapped ), deferred transaction completion and other less frequent transactions ( such as interrupts). It counts activity initiated by any agent on the bus. In systems where each processor is attached to a different bus, the count reflects only the activity for the bus on which the processor resides.

~BR

0 Kudos