Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4554 Discussions

ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: during call graph analysis

ericbracken
Beginner
I run a call graph analysis on my multithreaded, 64-bit application on Vista Pro SP2 using VTune 9.1 (build 406) integrated with Visual Studio 2005. The activity runs for quite a while, but it completes successfully. It spins for a few minutes more, and then I get the following errors:

Tue May 25 09:37:17 2010 Data collection finished...
Tue May 25 09:39:58 2010 Updating Call graph database...
Tue May 25 09:40:47 2010 Done.
Tue May 25 09:41:54 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_init: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:54 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_init: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:55 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:55 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: Can't continue. Out of memory.

No useful results are displayed. Any idea what could be wrong?

Running a simple sampling analysis works properly with this application.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I suppose that this problem was due to out of system's resource.

You may try one of below options:
1. Close other active applications in the system, and retry.
2. Modify Call graph's activity,a) set instrumentation level of non-interest-of-modules as "Minimal", to reduce data collecting on these modules. b) unselect some functionsof interest-of-modules, these functionswere from run-time library (without corresponding source).

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

ericbracken
Beginner
Thanks, Peter. I reduced the instrumentation level to "minimal" for everything except my application and 2 or 3 DLL's of interest. It still fails with the same message.

This is strange to me, because the machine I'm using has 8 GB of RAM, and the files generated during the call graph analysis are relatively small (about 64 MB). If I attempt to open the call graph results in the standalone VTune user interface, then the memory usage of vtuneenv.exe grows to about 478 MB before it issues the memutil errors. I still have plenty of free memory available.

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Is it LargeAddressAware(LAA) related issue?

Try below steps:
1. Open Microsoft* Visual Studio* command prompt.
2.cd \shared\Bin
3. editbin /largeaddressaware vtuneenv.exe
4. dumpbin /headers vtuneenv.exe; Check that LAA bit is set ("Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses" line in output):
5. Try call graph again.

You may try other option - build the application with Release Mode, with compiler switch "/Zi", linker options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no".

Verify if the problem was from MS Dlls - see http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/application-crashes-when-attempting-call-graph-profiling/

If the problem persists on, please reply as "Mark this post Private?" (YES) with test case, -OR-
Submit a ticket to https://premier.intel.com

Regards, Peter