Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5002 Discussions

Error Code 50 while installing sampling drivers for VTune for Windows 11

Sector0
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to use VTune to measure the cache misses but the sampling drivers are not able to be installed through out the amplxe-sepreg command. While trying to install the sampling drives I get the error 50 saying:

"Installing and starting vtss...
FAILED
Reason: Unsupported Windows Version; error code: 50"

I assume the error is pretty much descriptive by itself but I would like to know if some steps of setups are missing on my side or Intel hasn't yet provided a compatible version of VTune for Windows 11?

My OS version: Windows 11 version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3155)
VTune version 2024.0.1

Thank you in advance for the answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yuzhang3_intel

I verified that VTune self-check passed on the same Windows version as below, it looks at least user-mode and SEP based sampling  mode work.  This means only call stack collection hw-based has a depth limitation, the others work.

The system is ready for the following analyses:

• Performance Snapshot
  • Hotspots and Threading with user-mode sampling
  • Hotspots with HW event-based sampling, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
  • Microarchitecture Exploration
  • Memory Access
  • Hotspots with HW event-based sampling and call stacks
  • Threading with HW event-based sampling
  • GPU HW event-based analysis with runtime tracing
  • GPU software event-based analysis with runtime tracing

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
yuzhang3_intel

From the error message, it is really unsupported Windows version. Let me check the details.

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

The vtss driver allows for stack sampling with hardware event-based sampling. and relies on certain details of the OS. Since the VTune team doesn't get access to unreleased versions of Windows, it tends to be a release behind. If the driver is not compatible you could run into crashes.

You can use VTune without it, and most functionality will still be available with the exception of stack collection for hotspots with event-based sampling. You can get call stacks with user-mode hotspots, and get hardware-based collections without stacks.

0 Kudos
nicos
Beginner

Also having the same issue with Windows 11.  I guess we just have to wait for a new version of VTune. vtune.png

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

I verified that VTune self-check passed on the same Windows version as below, it looks at least user-mode and SEP based sampling  mode work.  This means only call stack collection hw-based has a depth limitation, the others work.

The system is ready for the following analyses:

• Performance Snapshot
  • Hotspots and Threading with user-mode sampling
  • Hotspots with HW event-based sampling, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
  • Microarchitecture Exploration
  • Memory Access
  • Hotspots with HW event-based sampling and call stacks
  • Threading with HW event-based sampling
  • GPU HW event-based analysis with runtime tracing
  • GPU software event-based analysis with runtime tracing
0 Kudos
Sector0
Beginner