Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5017 Discussions

Error in Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2013

danielsue
Beginner

Hi All,

I have build a parallel program and it works well. But when I run VTune hotspots Analysis, I got the following error

OMP: Error #136: Cannot create thread.
OMP: System error #1455: The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.
OMP: Error #178: Function GetExitCodeThread() failed:
OMP: System error #6: The handle is invalid.

Compiler: Intel Parallel Studio XE2013 (Fortran)

CPU: Intel xeon E5

Memory: 16GB

I have checked automatically manage paging file size for all drives and the current allocated paging file is 16GB. Running my test only cost about 200MB, there should be enough space for both paging file and physical memory. Anything wrong with my setting?

Thanks and regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
28 Replies
danielsue
Beginner

Yes, I tried it.

(1) When use "System managed size" VM, the error information are as follows:

OMP: Error #136: Cannot create thread.
OMP: System error #1455: The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.
OMP: Error #178: Function GetExitCodeThread() failed:
OMP: System error #6: The handle is invalid.

(2) When use "Custom Size" VM, the error information are as follows:

Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll'.
Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll'.
Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/KERNELBASE.dll'.
Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2013/bin64/tpsstool.dll'.
Symbol resolution has been finished, elapsed time is 3.012 seconds.
Deferred data transformations have been finished, elapsed time is 0.031 seconds.
Precomputing frequently used data has been finished, elapsed time is 0.052 seconds.
Data model parameters have been set, elapsed time is 0.048 seconds.
Redundant overtime data has been discarded, elapsed time is 0.008 seconds.
Raw collector data has been discarded, elapsed time is 0.000 seconds.
Finalizing the result took 4.113 seconds.
Error: Unsupported item 'helpKeyword' for query 'vectorQuery(id='')[]'
Error: Unsupported item 'helpKeywordCalcPolicy' for query 'vectorQuery(id='')[]'
Error: Unsupported item 'helpKeyword' for query 'vectorQuery(id='')[]'
Error: Unsupported item 'helpKeywordCalcPolicy' for query 'vectorQuery(id='')[]'

(3) After updating the VTune to the latest version ,the error information are as follows:

Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll'.
Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2013/bin64/tpsstool.dll'

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>>>...It cannot work when use 'Custom Size' Virtual Memory ( VM ) instead of 'System managed size' VM...
>>
>>I'd like to confirm that you've tried to change it.

Daniel, could you provide some details on what happened when you've changed VM settings to use 'Custom Size'? Did you try it?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
You could try to set a smaller size for OMP_STACKSIZE environment variable at runtime as follows: ... int iRetCode = _putenv( "OMP_STACKSIZE=32K" ); if( iRetCode == 0 ) printf( "OMP_STACKSIZE=%s\n"), getenv( "OMP_STACKSIZE" ); else printf( "Error: Failed to Set Environment Variable OMP_STACKSIZE\n" ); ...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>.>>Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll'.
Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2013/bin64/tpsstool.dll'>>>

This you can ignore.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>(3) After updating the VTune to the latest version, the error information are as follows: >> >>Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll'. >>Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll'. >>Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Windows/system32/KERNELBASE.dll'. >>Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2013/bin64/tpsstool.dll' These messages are just Warnings, Not Errors. These Release DLLs do not have any Debug information and there is nothing wrong here ( it's by design ).
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Yes I told him.

0 Kudos
danielsue
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

Your suggestion works.

I set the stack size to a large value before as I have to do some serious work. After reducing the stack size, I can run VTune normally.

I use VS2010 and set the stack size through property page, not runtime. Is it possible to set stack size at runtime in Fortran?

Thanks and regards,

Daniel

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

You could try to set a smaller size for OMP_STACKSIZE environment variable at runtime as follows:
int iRetCode = _putenv( "OMP_STACKSIZE=32K" );
if( iRetCode == 0 )
printf( "OMP_STACKSIZE=%s\n"), getenv( "OMP_STACKSIZE" );
else
printf( "Error: Failed to Set Environment Variable OMP_STACKSIZE\n" );

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Great:) sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I set the stack size to a large value before as I have to do some serious work. After reducing the stack size, I can >>run VTune normally... Thanks for the update. >>...I use VS2010 and set the stack size through property page, not runtime. These values ( Stack Reserve and Stack Commit ) are for the application in whole and they're not used by OpenMP when it creates new threads for processing. >>...Is it possible to set stack size at runtime in Fortran? I think Yes if it has a function that sets Environment Variable, that is similar to CRT function _putenv.
0 Kudos