Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Formula for clockticks..etc...in Vtune

prads
Beginner
Hello,
I am using Intel's Vtune Performance Analyser (for Windows) evaluation tool to analyze performance of Intel Core 2 duo while running SPEC programs. I have a few questions:
1. How do I give the SPEC program as input to analyze the processor performance? I open a command window and run the SPEC code while I configure the "Modify Activity" of Vtune to select a parameter and run and stop Vtune until the SPEC code runs and stops respectively. Is this procedure correct?
2. How do I determine the clockticks, Branch Prediction Rate, uops per instruction, %age Branches, Instruction-Load-Store-Others? Please specify the formulas if any.
Thanks,
prads
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Much of this is covered in the general documentation; far too much to begin to repeat here.
Clock ticks and instructions retired are default events in event based sampling.
The greatest interest in uops count usually is in counting the uops.none (an indication of stalls). You're certainly entitled to collect any uops or branch event you choose and form a ratio.
0 Kudos