cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samzwan
Beginner

Function names not displayed in vtune result

Hello,

I am using vtune from Parallel studio 2017 update 4, with visuals studio 2017 under Windows 7. When I am doing a basic hotspot analysis, the result do not show any function names, see below

Top Hotspots
Function Module CPU Time
func@0x100ee854 Deltares.Wanda.dll 0.706s
func@0x100eeaf0 Deltares.Wanda.dll 0.676s
func@0x100ef010 Deltares.Wanda.dll 0.369s
func@0x100f0550 Deltares.Wanda.dll 0.289s
func@0x100ef720 Deltares.Wanda.dll 0.269s
[Others]  13.326s

I did not get an error that the PDB of Deltares.Wanda.dll could not be found, I have checked and the PDB file is available and being build. Debugging symbols from several standard windows dll could not be found, but this is not a problem.

How can I get the function names displayed?

Hope someone can give me help

Many thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Does Visual Studio debugger show symbols for this dll?

Is there  /DEBUG:FASTLINK option set in your Visual Studio project for Deltares.Wanda.dll? (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/10/16/debugfastlink-for-vs2015-update-1/) Can you try to disable it, rebuilt .dll and re-collect VTune result?

Samzwan
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply,

Visual studio shows symbols for this dll

The fast link option was not switch on it was on /DEBUG. I switched it to /DEBUG:FULL, but this still produced the same results.

Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Is it .NET code? if it is a native image of .NET managed assembly, it is required to generate a native .pdb file via ngen.exe utility (see VTune Help).

If it is a native C/C++ code, that is not expected. Can you provide a small reproducer: binary file + .pdb file + VTune result directory?

Samzwan
Beginner

My code is c++ only, I have attached a small example, which gives the same result. I included the exe and pdb and vtune results. For reference I have also added the code in the source folder in the zip file.

TimP
Black Belt

I'm not seeing any problem with symbol resolution when compiling the source code (icl -debug) in this example.  Apparently, it requires a data file to run.  The .exe provided in the zip is labeled as "not an executable binary," although when I change permissions, it does show unnamed functions as you said.

Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the reproducer. It might be caused by changes in .pdb format in Visual Studio 2017. I will create a bug report for further investigation.