Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
4969 Discussions

Help installing VTune Linux

peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
I am evaluating VTune for Linux on a embedded system that has x86 processor. The system
has only serial port for console and no VGA. I cannot install Eclipse or XWindows or Java on it.
So all has to be done in command line. I have the install file vtune91_008_lin.tar.gz. What will
be the best way to run VTune on the setup. I came across some very old information that I can
run data collector only on the embedded system, collect the data and do a post analysis of it on
Windows machine using VTune GUI. If this is the recommened way (or the only way or other
ways that can be suggested), can I know the steps on how to install the software on the Linux
and the Windows machine using vtune91_008_lin.tar.gz.

Thanks
Peter
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Peter:

Someone experienced to install VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* on embedded system, please refer here.

My comments:
Most of tiny operation systems missed some utilities required by VTune installer. If you have any trouble to installthe productatstep 2 (The installer exits abnormally?), please install it on supported Linux* system first then copy whole VTune_Dir onto embedded system.

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
Thanks. I will try it and get back to you.

Regards
Peter
0 Kudos
peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
Hello Peter,

Going over the link you had provided,

>> You can connect to VTserver from your other window machine, run the application remotely and get the
>> performance data.

Is the VTserver running on Windows come part of the Linux package or do I need to get/buy the VTune for Windows?

Regards
PeterHB
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hello PeterHB,

vtserver is Linux* RDC (Remote Data Collector) to work on Linux*.

There aretwo ways to work VTune Analyzer with vtserver:

1) Theuser only has VTune Analyzer for Windows* product:
a) Install VTune on Windows* first,
b) Then copy vtune91_rdc_lin.tar from Windows* (C:\Program Files\Intel\Download\vtune91_008_win\tarfiles, for example) to support Linux* OS, install it properly
c) Copy whole Vtune_dir from supported Linux* OS to embedded system
d) Followall instructions I posted inthe link.
That is Windows-to-Linux usage mode.

2) The user only has VTune Analyzer for Linux* product:
a) Install Vtune on supported Linux* OS
b) Copy Vtune_dir to embedded system
c) Followall instrunctions I posted inthe link
That is Linux-to-Linux usage mode

Note if the user has both VTune Analyzer for Windows* and Linux*, and use RDC fromLinux* packagebut work withVTune Analyzer for Windows host - Please ensuretwoproducts' version isconsistent.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Additional info:

Please useLinux* RDC onembedded system, it's better for Linux* kernelversion (< 2.6.32)
0 Kudos
peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
Hello Peter,

Thanks for giving me more information to install the Vtune. I followed Method1
you have mentioned. I installed VTune for Windows and then used
vtune91_rdc_lin.tar.gz to install on the Linux platform. I followed you link and
was able to compile the driver and then load it using insmod-vtune.

In your link, the next step is to run vtl. However in the bin folder, I have only
uninstall_vdk.sh. So how do I start and run VTune to collect the data?

Also one more question. My target where VTune driver runs does not have
ethernet. So can the data files be copied to the Windows and opened using the
Windows VTune program for post analyis?

Thanks for you help.

Regards
PeterHB

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
...I followed you link and was able to compile the driver and then load it using insmod-vtune.

In your link, the next step is to run vtl. However in the bin folder, I have only
uninstall_vdk.sh. So how do I start and run VTune to collect the data?

Also one more question. My target where VTune driver runs does not have
ethernet. So can the data files be copied to the Windows and opened using the
Windows VTune program for post analyis?

Thanks for you help.

Regards
PeterHB

Because you only installed RDC, there is no "vtl" to run. You have to run "vtserver" under vtune/bin.

Unfortunately ethernet is not enabled on your target, so install RDCis not necessary. Please
1) Enableethernetto work with VTunefor Windows. -OR-
2)Install VTune for Linux whole product on Linux, then you can use "vtl" to collect datalocally.Then interpretresult on Windows. The problem isthat Iam not sure if you willhave trouble to install whole VTune for Linux on the target -usually that is tiny Linux OS, missed some required utilities.Am I right?

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
Hello Peter,

I have a prototype target with Ethernet on it. I can for now (to start with) use this.
I cannot find vtserver in the vtune/bin folder. The only file in vtune/bin file is the
uninstall_vdk.sh after installing the RDC (which come with the VTune Windows
install package).

Any help on this is appreciated.

Regards
PeterHB
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hello PeterHB,

As I mentioned before, you may install vtune91_rdc_lin.tar on supported desk/server Linux* system first, then copy whole VTune_Dir to target device.

You have to run install.sh after extracting vtune_91_rdc_lin.tar on support Linux* system first. After installing, you will see below programs under /opt/intel/vtune/bin:
uninstall_rdc.sh
uninstall_vdk.sh
vtqfagent
vtserver
vtune.debug

Next step is to copy whole VTune_Dir to target device, and build/load vtune driver...run vtserver.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
peterhaysbiggs
Beginner
Hello Peter,

Precisely the steps I had followed.

I had installed vtune91_rdc_lin.tar on 64bit RedHat Linux Server, (cross) compiled the driver and then moved the whole vtune folder to target machine. Able to load the driver as mentioned earlier. However the vtune/bin had only uninstall_vdk.sh (even on the RedHat Linux Server I had installed).

Regards
PeterHB
0 Kudos