Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5038 Discussions

Intel VTune "Hardware Tracing" option not working with "Limit Collected Data by: Time from collectio

mschan01
Beginner

Intel VTune "Hardware Tracing" option not working with "Limit Collected Data by: Time from collection end" option

Hi,

I would like to use the "Hardware Tracing" option to debug a 6 ms delay in my application. I have set up a trigger condition using the ITT API's __itt_detach() function. As the condition can take several hours to appear, I would also like to use the "Limit Collected Data by: Time from collection end" option to limit the result size. This pops up an error "Collected data size cannot be limited by the timer option for the Perf-based driverless collection. Please use the result size to limit the collected data or install VTune Profiler sampling drivers." However I have the sampling drivers installed on the target, and "Enable driverless collection" is unchecked. What else am I missing?

Here is output from the target showing the sampling drivers are loaded:

/data/vtune/vtune_profiler_target/sepdk/src$ ./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

socwatch2_15 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

VTune version is 2023.1.0 and host and target OS is Ubuntu 22.04.

Thanks,
Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Please provide the following details so that we could reproduce the issue at our end and also check whether they are of supported type: 

1. Sample reproducer code.

2. Exact steps and the commands used.

3. Processor details.

4. Self-checker logs.

To get the self-checker logs you have to make sure that the VTune self-checker script is running fine. This is to validate that appropriate drivers are installed and the system is set up properly to collect the performance data. 

The "vtune-self-checker.sh" script is available from <install-dir>/bin64 on the Windows or Linux system on which you installed VTune Profiler.

On running this script, it will create a log file and display the location of the log file. Kindly share that file with us so that we can verify it from our side.

Also, can you increase the result size in the "WHAT" pane and check if it is working fine for you or not?

You can increase it to a maximum of 1024000 MB.

You can find it in a similar way given in the below screenshot.

DiyaN_Intel_0-1690890211125.png

Thanks and Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
mschan01
Beginner

I do not think the specific target application matters for this issue but I have attached a sample project vtunetest.tgz.

I tried upgrading to latest version 2023.2.0 and see the same behavior.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Install VTune 2023.2.0
2. Extract and build vtunetest.tgz
3. Copy vtunetest and run.sh to target ~ directory
4. Start VTune
5. Click "Configure Analysis"
6. In "Where" panel select "Remote Linux (SSH)"
7. Set "SSH destination" to IP address of target
8. Set "VTune Profiler installation directory" and click "Deploy"
9. On target, do "cd ~/vtune/sepdk/src" then run "sudo ./build-driver"
10. On target, run "~/run.sh"
11. In "What" panel select "Process Name:" -> "vtunetest"
12. In Advanced, select "Limit collected data by: Time from collection end" and enter 5 seconds
13. In "How" panel, select "System Overview"
14. Select "Hardware Tracing" option -> error will appear

Host and target OS are both Ubuntu 22.04
Target CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500T CPU @ 2.70GHz

VTune self-test log is attached.

If I set the "Result Size" instead of "Time from collection end", I do not get the error, however this option can't be used to debug the issue as it could take many hours to occur, which would be too much data.

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
mschan01
Beginner

To rule out whether the SSH connection is part of the problem, I installed VTune on the target system.  This gave the same result.  I have also attached another self-test log from the target system.  This included the following error:

The following analyses have failed on the system:
* Threading with HW event-based sampling

However I could not tell why it had failed from the rest of the log.

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details.

We were able to reproduce the issue from our end.

We have informed the development about the issue and are working on it internally.

We will get back to you with an update soon.

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos