Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

MinGW exes with DWARF debug info - "cannot locate debugging symbols"

Yurii_Z_
Beginner

I'm trying to profile a Windows application built with MinGW with DWARF debug information. About a year ago VTune used to correctly load all debug information and show function names; now it fails to load any debug symbols:

Data collection is completed successfully

7/9/2017 10:00:56 PM  The result file 'C:\Users\zyy\Documents\Amplifier XE\Projects\qemu2\r004ah\r004ah.amplxe' is successfully created and added to the project qemu2. 

7/9/2017 10:00:56 PM  
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\lib64OpenglRender.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\lib64EGL_translator.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\lib\Qt5Core.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\plugins\imageformats\qgif.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\lib\Qt5Widgets.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\plugins\imageformats\qsvg.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\Parity.sys'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\Windows\System32\nvd3dumx.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\lib64GLES_V2_translator.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vtss.sys'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\lib\Qt5Svg.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\Users\zyy\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools\AdbWinApi.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\plugins\imageformats\qsvg.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\IntelHaxm.sys'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\lib\Qt5Gui.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\Windows\System32\nvoglv64.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\qemu\windows-x86_64\qemu-system-i386.exe'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\emulator.exe'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\lib64OpenglRender.dll'.
    Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\src\master\objs-win-rel\lib64\qt\plugins\platforms\qwindows.dll'.

Progressed 25%

Here's the repro - whole set of profiled binaries + two last profiling results.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B73KGLi34py3WnlTV1FWRTQwbTA?usp=sharing

I'm using the 2017 Update 4 version, and I had the same issue with Update 1. Both gdb and lldb load debug information from the attached binaries correctly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the reproducer. I'll convert it to a bug report.

0 Kudos
Yurii_Z_
Beginner

Hi

Do you have any updates of the bug?

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It should be fixed in the upcoming VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 1.

0 Kudos