Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Performance analyser

p_harinath
Beginner

Hello,

As I gone through the all the ways my ASP.Net application, but I didnt find proper result to analyze my application, so I have a confusion weather this vtune can get me proper results or expecting results for asp.net application.

My object is to check performance of my application and am trying to boost up the speed. so in this record if you suggest me some other tools am ok with that or in Vtune itself have a solution then am very happy with this.

Seeking positive inputs

Awaiting for your reply

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shannon_C_Intel
Employee
Hello,
This article describes how to use VTune to profile an ASP.NET application. I see you have posted this question on another thread as well - did you use the process from the article?
When you say you did not get proper results, do you mean you got no results at all or that the results were incomplete?
If you followed the process in the article and then pressed stop once you had exercised your ASP.NET application and then you did not get any results, please copy and paste the output from the "Output" pane in VTune here. If you got unsatisfactory results, please explain why.
Thanks,
Shannon

0 Kudos
p_harinath
Beginner
Hello,
This article describes how to use VTune to profile an ASP.NET application. I see you have posted this question on another thread as well - did you use the process from the article?
When you say you did not get proper results, do you mean you got no results at all or that the results were incomplete?
If you followed the process in the article and then pressed stop once you had exercised your ASP.NET application and then you did not get any results, please copy and paste the output from the "Output" pane in VTune here. If you got unsatisfactory results, please explain why.
Thanks,
Shannon

Hello,

I have gone throught the same process as given in the article, but i am not able to find any results. i got the error like below.

Wed Nov 19 15:30:28 2008 SYS22 (Run 1) The Sampling collector is ready to profile ASP.net applications. Please launch your ASP.net application(s) now.

while going through the process as given in the article, we dont have any option to launch asp.net application(as we dont have exe for webapplication).

Please let me know, whether we can get the performance of onlyasp.net web applcation.my object is to boost up the speed ofmy web application

seeking positive inputs

Thanks

Hari

0 Kudos
Shannon_C_Intel
Employee
Hi Hari,
So, you are saying you get to step 8 in the article but then don't know what to do to launch your application, correct?
What we mean when we say "launch" your app is to do whatever it is you want to profile. I assume you are running VTune on your ASP.NET server system. So, once you get to step 8, after you have clicked Finish and IIS has restarted, you need to exercise your workload. VTune will be profiling your ASP.NET code, so you need to cause it to execute. For example, run some tests from client machines that will load ASP code that runs on this server. Exercise the code for as long as you want to.
Then click the stop button. You will find the stop button on VTune's toolbar, just to the right of the Play button (which looks like a green triangle).
Once you have stopped profiling, the data will load. Your data will show up in the aspnet_wp.exe process. Double-click that process to see the modules it loaded - here you can see a jitted module (ending in .jit) for each DLL your application loaded.
Thanks,
Shannon

0 Kudos
p_harinath
Beginner
Hi Hari,
So, you are saying you get to step 8 in the article but then don't know what to do to launch your application, correct?
What we mean when we say "launch" your app is to do whatever it is you want to profile. I assume you are running VTune on your ASP.NET server system. So, once you get to step 8, after you have clicked Finish and IIS has restarted, you need to exercise your workload. VTune will be profiling your ASP.NET code, so you need to cause it to execute. For example, run some tests from client machines that will load ASP code that runs on this server. Exercise the code for as long as you want to.
Then click the stop button. You will find the stop button on VTune's toolbar, just to the right of the Play button (which looks like a green triangle).
Once you have stopped profiling, the data will load. Your data will show up in the aspnet_wp.exe process. Double-click that process to see the modules it loaded - here you can see a jitted module (ending in .jit) for each DLL your application loaded.
Thanks,
Shannon

Hello,

Thanks for response.

I have tried like same above process. After starting the profile, i executed the code for some time and then i clicked on stop button of vtune toolbar, after pressing stop button. My system got strucked. Either vtune or visual studio is not responding.

I mean i have tried in both ways like first way is in visual studio; i selected my project in solution explorerand started the activity then after a moment visual studio is not responding.

Second way i started vtune, in that i selected new project and respectively, after starting the profile, i done execution of my application for some time and press stop button. Then vtune is not responding.

i got struck here only. Please make me go forward.

seeking positive inputs

Awaiting for your reply

Thanks

Hari

0 Kudos
p_harinath
Beginner
Quoting - p.harinath

Hello,

Thanks for response.

I have tried like same above process. After starting the profile, i executed the code for some time and then i clicked on stop button of vtune toolbar, after pressing stop button. My system got strucked. Either vtune or visual studio is not responding.

I mean i have tried in both ways like first way is in visual studio; i selected my project in solution explorerand started the activity then after a moment visual studio is not responding.

Second way i started vtune, in that i selected new project and respectively, after starting the profile, i done execution of my application for some time and press stop button. Then vtune is not responding.

i got struck here only. Please make me go forward.

seeking positive inputs

Awaiting for your reply

Thanks

Hari

Please respond ASAP

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - p.harinath

Please respond ASAP

Let's back up a little: you say you have a web application. Does this web app service a web page? Do you access a web page via Internet Explorer* and that causes your code to be executed? If you follow the sequence in the article, after data collection begins, you should start IE and access the web page, causing any parts of your code to be executed that you are interested in. Once complete, exit IE and then stop the VTune analyzer.

What wizard are you using (Sampling or Call Graph) and what do you do after data collection starts?

Regards,
Mr.Anderson

0 Kudos