Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Problem about credentials of the target process and vtune amplifier do not match

qiuzhang__chen
Beginner

Hi,

I'm experimenting with Vtune Amplifier XE 2018 trial edition on Linux and I have a basic question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere.

The application which i want to collect data is run as a non-root user.I installed the vtune as the default option.And then after install successful,i tried to run command (amplxe-cl -colect ... ) to collect an non-root application which run on linux os.as an result,it counter an eoor below:

#amplxe-cl -collect hotspots --target-pid 2191
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: amplxe-cl -r 
amplxe: Error: Data collection is interrupted because credentials of the target process and VTune Amplifier do not match. Please start both target process and VTune Amplifier with the credentials of the same user and try collecting data again.

amplxe:Collection Error
amplxe: Internal Error

i tried to solve it , and i find a similar question the same to me , the link is https://software.intel.com/zh-cn/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/515053

but that is not the sam reason which i counter.

How do i solve this problem ?

thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello Chen,

Please verify that:

1.  Both - VTune Amplifier process and the application process which you want to collect data - are run by the same user.  

2. The user has write access to a result directory of your collection. In your case it seems the current directory.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Patrick_Wu
Beginner

hi Ekaterina,

I used the Vtune profile in MAC to connect to the server through SSH to test the performance of a certain process in the kernel.

The following error occurred:Data collection is interrupted because credentials of the target process and VTune Amplifier do not match. Please start both target process and VTune Amplifier with the credentials of the same user and try collecting data again.

I cannot understand the existing solution, please describe the solution in detail.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Marc_C_
Beginner

Hi Ekaterina,

I have never found a sufficient explanation as to why the root user on a Linux platform cannot profile an application running as non-root.  Is this a design choice?  Do you have an answer?

Regards,
Marc

0 Kudos