Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4973 Discussions

Problem about installing VTUNE 9.1 on ubuntu 8.04

wfchiang
Beginner
Hi all,

I have a problem about installing VTUNE 9.1 on ubuntu 8.04.
I had create a new group vtunesag and new user vtunesag.
I give command "sudo su" to change to root user
After execute ./install.sh

It reply me an error message
==
proceeding as a root user...
secore.new: ChannelMessage.cpp:134: int CChannelMessage::Init(const CEasyString&): Assertion `configNode != __null' failed.
./install.sh: line 346: 24083 (had terminaled) $install_prog $@
==

Did anyone run into this problem?

Thanks for any advises.

Wei-Fan, Chiang
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Wei-fan,

Ubuntu* 8.04 should be supported on v9.1. I was aware of similar problemof Sudo use from others. I suggest you to log on "root" user directly then install the product.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
wfchiang
Beginner

Hi Wei-fan,

Ubuntu* 8.04 should be supported on v9.1. I was aware of similar problemof Sudo use from others. I suggest you to log on "root" user directly then install the product.

Regards, Peter

Sorry, but it didn't help......... /___ I had tried login as root on ubuntu or on fedora

Wei-Fan, Chiang
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - wfchiang

Hi Wei-fan,

Regards, Peter

Sorry, but it didn't help......... /___ I had tried login as root on ubuntu or on fedora

Wei-Fan, Chiang

Is thereanyerror message when you login as "root" and ran installation? Is it possible that your system misses some utilities that the installer requires? -peter
0 Kudos
geoffrey-burling
Employee
Quoting - wfchiang
Hi all,

I have a problem about installing VTUNE 9.1 on ubuntu 8.04.
I had create a new group vtunesag and new user vtunesag.
I give command "sudo su" to change to root user
After execute ./install.sh

It reply me an error message
==
proceeding as a root user...
secore.new: ChannelMessage.cpp:134: int CChannelMessage::Init(const CEasyString&): Assertion `configNode != __null' failed.
./install.sh: line 346: 24083 (had terminaled) $install_prog $@
==

Did anyone run into this problem?

Thanks for any advises.

Wei-Fan, Chiang

I noticed another thread in the forumwhere someone installing on Ubuntu 8.04 encountered the same error message, & was given several things to try. Have a look at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=58810 If that works for you, let us know here -- and pleaseinclude which version of gcc you have on your system so we canprovide the information back to the developers.

Geoff
0 Kudos
wfchiang
Beginner

I noticed another thread in the forumwhere someone installing on Ubuntu 8.04 encountered the same error message, & was given several things to try. Have a look at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=58810 If that works for you, let us know here -- and pleaseinclude which version of gcc you have on your system so we canprovide the information back to the developers.

Geoff

Thank you. It seems that I had installed it successfully.

I did following things to solve this problem. (Maybe something is unneccessary? But I just list what I had done....)
I am now using ubuntu 8.04
====
1. install gcc 4.1 (even I had 4.2)
2. install g++ 4.2
3. install libstdc++5
4. Get you license. I put it on /home/wfchiang/intel/licenses
(It should be placed in /opt/intel/licenses/ However, the it seems that the install program do it for me... explain later)
5. change dir to (??? where your dir is)/vtune_linux_9.1/data/
then sudo ./install-vtune.sh
The program will ask you the license file, give it the absolute path.
====
Even thought the ??/vtune_linux_9.1/install.sh still not works, but the steps list above works for me. And I am now launch vtune successfully.

Thanks for you advises again.

Wei-Fan, Chiang
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you require sudo to get install privileges, you must use it to run any of the install scripts. The scheme to set root privileges inside the script will never work when you require sudo.
gcc/g++ version installations should have no bearing on whether vtune install works, unless it incidentally adds a required .so.
If you start out by putting your license in /opt/intel/licenses, the install script should see it and ask if you wish to use it.
0 Kudos