Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Roofline data is not available

Lee__Heungson
Beginner

Compiler : Intel C++ 18.0

IDE : Visual Studio 2015

I am trying to run the advisor tutorial 'roofline_demo_samples'. I followed "https://software.intel.com/en-us/advisor-tutorial-roofline-visual-studio-ide-prepare-the-sample-application". And the result showed no roofline chart saying that 'Roofline data is not available' (please refer to the image file attached). 

Among the output messages, it says

Loading 'tripcounts_3436_0.tcs' file
Error: Cannot load data file `D:\Laboratory\Learning\IntelAdvisor\samples-master\advisor\roofline_demo_samples\cpp\My Advisor Results - roofline_demo_samples\e000\hs000\data.1\tripcounts_3436_0.tcs' (Data file is corrupted).
Raw data has been loaded to the database, elapsed time is 0.011 seconds.

I am sure Trip Counts and FLOP checkbox are checked. 

I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

It seems Tripcounts collection failed to complete successfully. Could you please provide more details? It would be helpful to get Advisor build number, OS version, testing application you're using and Advisor project itself.

0 Kudos
Lee__Heungson
Beginner

I found out in this forum (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-advisor/topic/802235) that the problem has been resolved in 2019 update 4. The version I have been testing is 2018 update 4. And unfortunately my current license has the access till 2019 update 3. For the time I have to work without roofline analysis.

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Well, yes (if you use Win10 RS5). There is an issue related to data collection in that OS version. You can try another OS version though (or upgrade your license of course)

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Heungson,

Please go to Intel Advisor website and try to download latest version (2020 Update 1).

You will find that there is license-free version available for your purposes.

Zakhar.

0 Kudos
Henrique_M_
Beginner

I have the exact same issue. I am using Visual Studio 2017 15.9.23 + Intel 2020 Update 1 + Windows 10 version 1909.

Any workaround?

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Could you please share your project snapshot?

0 Kudos
Henrique_M_
Beginner

Do you mean the .advixeproj file?

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

No. I mean a snapshot of whole project (or archived project directory). Please see this article for details

0 Kudos
Henrique_M_
Beginner

Ok, I took the snapshot and attached to this response (solution found, therefore, I removed the attachment).

At the end, I figured that the .tcs file was created and deleted when the application was forcibly closed (my fault here). Letting the application terminate normally by Intel Advisor allow the .tcs file to be properly saved in the data.X directory and the corrupted data error message was not displayed anymore.

For those who face a problem like this, check first if you are not forcing the application to close. In my case, I was pushing the 'X' button on "cmd.exe".

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Henrique, 

I believe it is still possible to stop your application and keep the data accurate/correct.

But you'd ideally do it "graceful way" (in case of roofline analysis); so you should rather do it with help of Advisor "Stop" comand (see stop button in Advisor GUI Workflow panel or advixe-cl "stop" command in command line - has to be done from other shell though).

Zakhar.

0 Kudos