cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keshavan
Beginner

VTune on FC 6 - insmod errors

Hi,
I was attempting to get the VTune driver running on Fedora Core 6 on P4-HT (i686; kernel: 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6). I was able to successfully compile the driver. When I tried to install the module, I got the following error:
# insmod vtune_drv-x32-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6smp.ko
insmod: error inserting 'vtune_drv-x32-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6smp.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

The dmesg indicates that unknown symbol is "tasklist_lock".
vtune_drv: Unknown symbol tasklist_lock

Can you please help me with this?

Thanks and Regards
Keshavan
0 Kudos
7 Replies
keshavan
Beginner

I have some more updates with regard to the errors seen on FC6 (kernel: 2.6.18). The support for tasklist_lock has been removed from the 2.6.18 kernel. Also a solution has been proposed for libafs in the link below. http://www.mail-archive.com/openafs-info@openafs.org/msg22061.html

It is proposed that read_lock and read_unlock be replaced with rcu_read_lock() and rcu_read_unlock(). However I did not find an alternative call for read_trylock() which is being used in vtune.c (function: get_tgid_trylock). This function uses TGID_TRY and TGID_RELEASE macros (defined in vtprotos.h). I was considering replacing this with rcu_read_lock and rcu_read_unlock, since I dont know an alternative technique. However the comments in the code indicate:
// Since we want the interrupt handler to avoid possible deadlock
// due to a spin on the tasklist_lock, we will use the read_trylock()
// call when it is available, but when it isn't we'll use the more
// heavy handed write_trylock() which is available on all the kernels
// we support...

I modified the driver, compiled it and loaded it. There does not seem to be any errors so far. Since I am not a kernel programmer and have no familiarity with Linux kernel, this needs some more investigation from the more knowledgable ones. Can someone give me some guidance on this?

Many Thanks,

Regards
--Keshavan
aokunev
Beginner

Hi Keshavan

This is a know issue. It will be addressed in the 8.0.3 product update which is expected soon. Please upgrade your version once it's released.

Regards, Andrei

Hi,

You could replace all references to read_lock(&tasklist) by rcu_read_lock and similiarly for read_unlock.

Now try_lock tries to get a lock before 10,000 spins or retire; If you think a lock can be acquires within lesser spins, you CAN use a rcu_read_lock in place. (and the release part is a rcu_read_unlock)

I don't think this is what was required, though.
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Note: Fedora Core* 6 is not supported by any available releases. Please watch http://www.intel.com/software/products/vtunefor updates.
brady1
Beginner

I wonder does anyone have a timeline on that?

Regards
Mike Brady
philbinj
Beginner

Hi, i'm running FC5 with a new 2.6.20 kernel - has anyone managed to compile the vkl code by replacing read_try_lock with the rcu versions? If so, could someone send the patch?

Thanks,
Shash
keshavan
Beginner

Hi,

I have modified the code and compiled it for 2.6.18 kernel. I can send you the modified source code. I dont know how to create a patch for the same. Let me know if you want it.

Regards

Keshavan