cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbansal
Beginner

Vtune cannot find setenv symbol even after being exported in the target binary

Hello,

I am trying to profile statically linked binary using Vtune 2021.3.0 installed with oneapi kit.

I have build the application with the required switches i.e. -g, -O2 and  -Wl, -u__setenv. As you can see from attached image which is output of "objdump -x <target binary name> | grep setenv", __setenv symbol is exported to the binary.

However, when I am trying to profile this binary with Vtune with hotspot analysis with the following command, it still throws the following error:

vtune: Error: Valid setenv symbol is not found in the binary of the analysis target.

vtune: Error: Binary file of the analysis target does not contain symbols required for profiling. See the 'Analyzing Statically Linked Binaries' help topic for more details. I vtune -collect hotspots -search-dir=/usr/lib/debug/lib64  <path to binary>

I received the above error with the following command:

vtune -collect hotspots -search-dir=/usr/lib/debug/lib64  <path to binary>

where /usr/lib/debug/lib64 is the path to directory where the symbol libc-2.28.so.debug is located.

Could you please help on the above issue. 

Thanks,

Prakhar

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please confirm whether the binary file exports all the symbols from system libraries as mentioned in the below documentation:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-ta...

If the issue still persists, please share reproducer code and the complete steps you followed so that we can try out the same from our end.

Thanks.

AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please give us an update?

Thanks