Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Vtune7.1 not work in XP SP2

weichun
Beginner

Hi all,
I estimate my system's performance, but I find VTUNE 7.1 is not work
in Symphony (MCE) and XP SP2.

Vtune 7.1 shows error message.
"
An error occured during drill-down.
Cause of error cannot be determined.
"

Does not support XP SP2 for VTUNE 7.1?
Or I need to update my VTUNE version?

thanks
wei

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
That is correct, Wei. With Microsoft's final release of SP2, version 7.1 of the VTune analyzer is not able to display collected results. :-(
Note that 7.1 never claimed support of SP2, since SP2 was not even a thought in someone's brain when 7.1 was released.
Please watch Intel Premier Support's "What's New" section for an announcement of the availability of a release that addresses this problem.
The only workarounds available at this time are to uninstall SP2 or transport the data via Pack and Go (see File menu) to a system that does not have SP2 installed on it.

Message Edited by DaveA on 08-25-2004 10:27 AM

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I'm going to withdraw my last reply.
After downloading and installing Microsoft* Windows* XP SP2, I have been able to successfully collect and view sampling and callgraph data, including remote sampling.
Because of the "enhanced" security of SP2, I was prompted to unblock the port the analyzer was attempting to use to communicate with the remote agent, but that should be expected.
Basically, it appears that some internal builds of SP2, namely build between 2149 and 2179, caused problems with the analyzer (and other applications, I understand). Subsequently, the build Microsoft finally released does not cause any problems in the VTune analyzer.
0 Kudos
weichun
Beginner

Hi David,

Thank you so much.

"Pack and Go is useful for us on XP SP2.

And Vtune is fine on the latest version of symphony (RTM) and XP SP2 (RTM)

Regards

WeiChun

0 Kudos
garrett_clark
Beginner
Over a fresh install ofWindows XP (w/ integrated SP2) I have just installed VS .NET 2003 and VTune 7.1. So far it's been a huge disappointment:
1) Made a simple win32 app to profile. Clicked on "Quick Perf Analysis" and ended up with the message that I don't have enough disk space to store samples. I have just one drive with 50Gb available.
2) Attempting to simply run VTune Analyser (not integrated w/ VS) causes the computer to reboot without error messages.
This PC is ABSOLUTLEY clean of other apps. Is this really supposed to be the premier profiling tool for windows developers? Am I missing something here?
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Yes, you are. :-} Seriously, if everyone ran into this problem, who could use the product?!
Please submit an issue at Intel Premier Support. We will attempt to help you with this problem.
0 Kudos