Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

queue depth for storage performance snapshot tool

Conor_D_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For the storage performance snapshot tool, has the queue depth output in the results been removed?

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/snapshots/storage-snapshot/

The getting started guide for the tool mentions queue depth

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-storage-performance-snapshot/top.html?wapkw=storage%20performance%20snapshot

I have run the tool with a test workload and can't see the queue depth graph that used to exist in the tool previously.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Conor

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Asaf_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Conor,

Which operating system do you use for collecting data? 

Thanks,

Asaf

0 Kudos
Conor_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Asaf,

I'm using windows 10.

Kind Regards,

Conor

0 Kudos
Asaf_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Conor,

Queue depth is not fully supported on Windows: the information is being collected by the data collector but is not included in the visualization. 

Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. The collected data is in CSV format and thus can be easily analyzed by many other tools, e.g. Excel. You can open the generated data file in a text editor and look for the following line "/*** START OF PROFILING OUTPUT ***/". Everything below this line is the performance data in CSV format. Copy this content to Excel and you should be able to look at queue depth data, specifically at the "avg. disk read queue length" and "avg. disk write queue length" columns.
  2. Use VTune's Platform Profiler feature to get this information as well as many other useful metrics: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-platform-profiler-windows/top.html

Thanks,

Asaf

0 Kudos
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Conor,

Could you please confirm whether above mentioned solution helped in resolving your issue ? Shall we proceed with closure of same ?

0 Kudos
Conor_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Asaf,

Thanks for the answer, yes this does answer my question.

Is there any specific reason why queue depth is not supported in windows?

Thanks,

Conor

0 Kudos
Asaf_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Connor,

Queue depth support was introduced in Linux based on customer feedback. We didn't get any specific requests for Windows. Moving forward, we're investing in making Platform Profiler the VTune feature of choice for platform characterization.

Thanks and best regards,

Asaf

0 Kudos
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Connor,

Hope we have cleared your query. Could you please update on same ?

Thanks,

Adweidh

0 Kudos
Conor_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Asaf,

Thanks for the details, can you expand a bit more on the below..

"Moving forward, we're investing in making Platform Profiler the VTune feature of choice for platform characterization."

Does this mean there are plans to EOL storage performance snapshot tool? (on windows or linux)

As i understand platform profiler is a paid service however snapshot is free, so how will this work?

I work in a technical sales position for NSG and am looking at providing storage performance snapshot tool to customers to get a very quick 5m effort overview of their storage bottlenecks.

What would you recommend for this usecase?

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Conor,

As you will be communicating with Asaf over email, we are closing this case. In case of any issues kindly raise a new thread.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos