Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

"This analysis type is only defined for processors...... Ivy Bridge"

T_C
Beginner

I have an i7 4820K (overclocked), Win 7 64 Professional, Visual Studio 2012 version 11.0.61030 and the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 package.

If I open up Visual Studio with Admin Privileges, open a project and then go to begin analysing I cannot choose any of the Ivy-Bridge specific analysis. I am being told that it is only for CPUs which are Ivy Bridge (even though my CPU is Ivy Bridge).

Could someone please help?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Maybe you have a version of VTune which isn't up to date.  The Ivy Bridge support was released I think about 4 months ago.  I suppose the delay may have been on account of wanting to assure support for the server versions of Ivy Bridge which haven't been widely available.

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Ok I have performed an update of all my Intel products. When I now open up VTune from within VS 2012 and go to the Ivy Bridge analysis I get a slightly different error message:

"This analysis type is not applicable to the current machine microarchitecture" (before it used to mention "Ivy Bridge" in the message).

How next to fix this?

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

This problem happens whether using VTune from within VS2012 and if I use VTune as a standalone application. My VTune version number is Update 15.

0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

T C, for Ivy Bridge CPUs VTune Amplifier XE supports only two microarchitectural analysis types: General Exploration and Bandwidth. If you select another type, like "memory accesses", this is expected behavior. But it should work for General Exploration and Bandwidth with VTune update 15.

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Thanks for answering. Does this mean I cannot measure cache misses and branch misses on my CPU?!

0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

No, you can measure cache misses and branch mispredictions. Use "General Exploration" analysis - it is a combination of many metrics, including those you're looking for.

0 Kudos
TomK
Beginner

So Ivy Bridge E (4960X) does not support EBS ? I never got this problem with the former Sandy Bridge E (3960X) cpu i had... 

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

TomK wrote:

So Ivy Bridge E (4960X) does not support EBS ? I never got this problem with the former Sandy Bridge E (3960X) cpu i had... 

For IvyBridge & Haswell processor, only two analysis are supported they are Bandwidth and General Exploration. For other events which are not used in two analysis...you can use customized analysis, or use these events in command line directly - see this article.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Peter

How  can I access VTune help from command prompt(Win  OS)?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

Command line help is available via "amplxe-cl --help" command.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Thanks @Kirill.

0 Kudos