Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

unaligned access messages from vtl.bin when doing vtl view

jim_fry
Beginner
Has anybody seen this before?
I just had 8.0 installed on my Itanium Linux machine, and I was able to get much farther than before. But I get many messages of the forms:
vtl.bin(xxxx): unaligned access to 0x60000ffffffxxxxx, ip=0x200000000xxxxxxx
vtl.bin(xxxx): unaligned access to 0x600000000xxxxxxx, ip=0x200000000xxxxxxx
when I do:
vtl view
or:
vtl view -hf -mn a.out
The processors in the machine are 1.3 volt (low voltage) Itanium 2's, which is why I had to get 8.0 installed.
Jim
0 Kudos
4 Replies
aokunev
Beginner
Jim, this is a known problem. Unfortunatly now VTune depends on several 3d party libraries - there is no chance to avoid this 'unaligned access' problem. Although there is a way to hide the messages. Please google "unaligned access linux Itanium site:hp.com". You may want to read this: http://dspp-prodtest.eservices.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/1,2366,161,00.html

thanks
Andrei
0 Kudos
jim_fry
Beginner
Ok. I tried doing the prctl command to vtl.bin, but it needs to open the shared libraries that vtl.bin uses, which aren't in my path. Other than doing a complex script, is there another way of accomplishing this?
Jim Fry
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Jim:

Just put it in front of the vtl command, as in:

$ prctl --unaligned=silent vtl view

Don't single out vtl.bin, it is not intended to be invoked by itself.

0 Kudos
jim_fry
Beginner
Dave,
Thanks. I was misinterpreting what prctl does. So I guess I'll have to make an alias of vtl to prctl --unaligned=silent /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtl
Jim Fry
0 Kudos