Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Intel Open FPGA Stack Compilation

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi, @khtan 

The compilation for the project takes 8 to 12 hours just for the IP Generation step and doesn't go any further, I have a system with 64Gb of RAM and an Intel i7 10th Gen. I have tried multiple different methods and commands but its still coming the same. It doesn't even show the exact issue which is causing the error. Also when i open the project in Quartus, in the Files Hierarchy tab only the top module is present, the other files aren't being shown.

Are there any files that aren't present in the Github Official page of the Intel OFS that i need for compilation and must request access from Intel. And does the FIM compilation also need other github files other than the ofs-agx7-pcie-attach and ofs-fim-common. I didn't use the linux-dfl, meta-ofs, opae-sdk, etc. Just for initial compilation do the files have to be installed.

Any suggestions for the next step would be very helpful. I cant find many forum discussions on the Intel OFS other than mine, Is it that I am the only one facing issues and everyone else can use it easily.

Thank you

Labels (1)
1 Solution
khtan
Employee

Hi,

Glad that the command works for you. 

For your questions below

1. What is the command that I previously ran used for? If you have any idea, please do let me know. I think you got the command that was used for different version of FIM compilations and repository (eg. intel-ofs-fim repo and older version of that repo). As you're now using the new repo ofs-agx7-pcie-attach, the compilations command option are different as well eg.ofss (this custom repo is built on top of the intel-ofs-fim for agilex 7 with different and easier configuration options)
  2. I also wanted to know, now that I compiled this Flat-FIM, can just this be uploaded to the card? Do confirm the compiled model is the same as the card you're having . Do refer to section 4.6 Migrating to a different Agilex Device Number in the user guide. Default for the AGFB027R24C2E2VR2(2x-F-tile). If it is the same card, you can directly upload into the card.
  3. And if so, then what and all can be tested? You can refer to the rest of the guide , where it got different sections on how to add customization on fim like Hello World, AFU, pcie , ethernet , hps configuration.
  4. And without any changes done to the code, can the card operate as a basic NIC? You will need to compile a fim with hssi configuration and the speed (The default HSSI-SS configuration for the fseries-dk is 2x4x25GbE.) 

Thanks

Regards

Kian

View solution in original post

5 Replies
khtan
Employee

Hi, 

Thanks for creating the new thread for this and sorry for the delay in replying. I'm trying to setup a server on my end to test the compilation based on the user guide you're using (though on CentOS instead of RHEL first). Yes the compilation takes a lot of time (6-8hours on my side depending on whether additional package needs to be compiled .eg opae-sdk) and your system met the requirement. As the compilation has stop prematurely, not all files are generated out completely thus you will see missing files. You will need to compile everything successfully to get all the files.

Files wise, all are included in the ofs-agx7-pcie-attach repository, but I need to test it out as usually I will setup my OFS first prior to run FIM compilation. I've a fresh CentOS running , now trying to set up the Quartus 23.3 and those development libraries as per the guide mentioned. 

I notice that you mentioned you're running the command "I used this exact command - ./ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh -p n6000 work_n6000" which is quite different from what I see in the user guide

https://ofs.github.io/ofs-2023.3/hw/ftile_devkit/dev_guides/fim_dev/ug_ofs_ftile_dk_fim_dev/#225-walkthrough-compile-ofs-fim

khtan_0-1707210486471.png

Could you try one of the commands (eg. Flat Fim):

./ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh --ofss tools/ofss_config/fseries-dk.ofss,tools/ofss_config/hssi/hssi_8x25_ftile.ofss fseries-dk:flat work_fseries-dk_flat

and see any errors with it, do remember to setup the project and environment variables.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi @khtan ,

Thank you for the above suggestion, I thought that "./ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh --ofss tools/ofss_config/fseries-dk.ofss,tools/ofss_config/hssi/hssi_8x25_ftile.ofss fseries-dk:flat work_fseries-dk_flat" command is only for the fseries board. Now that I changed my command to "./ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh --ofss tools/ofss_config/n6000.ofss n6000:flat work_n6000_flat" it runs perfectly.

Beginner_in_FPGA_0-1707298710816.png

Thank you for your help with the Compilation I just have a few queries and then I'll be out of your hair.

1. What is the command that I previously ran used for? If you have any idea, please do let me know.
  2. I also wanted to know, now that I compiled this Flat-FIM, can just this be uploaded to the card?
  3. And if so, then what and all can be tested?
  4. And without any changes done to the code, can the card operate as a basic NIC?

Thanks

Regards

khtan
Employee

Hi,

Glad that the command works for you. 

For your questions below

1. What is the command that I previously ran used for? If you have any idea, please do let me know. I think you got the command that was used for different version of FIM compilations and repository (eg. intel-ofs-fim repo and older version of that repo). As you're now using the new repo ofs-agx7-pcie-attach, the compilations command option are different as well eg.ofss (this custom repo is built on top of the intel-ofs-fim for agilex 7 with different and easier configuration options)
  2. I also wanted to know, now that I compiled this Flat-FIM, can just this be uploaded to the card? Do confirm the compiled model is the same as the card you're having . Do refer to section 4.6 Migrating to a different Agilex Device Number in the user guide. Default for the AGFB027R24C2E2VR2(2x-F-tile). If it is the same card, you can directly upload into the card.
  3. And if so, then what and all can be tested? You can refer to the rest of the guide , where it got different sections on how to add customization on fim like Hello World, AFU, pcie , ethernet , hps configuration.
  4. And without any changes done to the code, can the card operate as a basic NIC? You will need to compile a fim with hssi configuration and the speed (The default HSSI-SS configuration for the fseries-dk is 2x4x25GbE.) 

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi @khtan ,

I tried following the Hello Word AFU offered in the Intel OFS Page and a similar thing happened to that of the first error. I figured I'll try to find out the reason myself. But if I have any new query with regards to the same I'll drop a query here with your tag, hopefully it never comes to that.

Thank you for all the Help, it's deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards,
Abhi.

khtan
Employee

Hi ,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you still have issues running the Hello World AFU , do post in the forum and we will follow up on it.

Thanks

Regards

Kian