Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games

Processor count

anandakumaryg
Beginner
Hi,

Can anyone help me to find out number of physical processor count..I tried with SystemInfo API. Its giving logical processor count.

Thanks,
Ananda
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Quoting - anandakumaryg
Hi,

Can anyone help me to find out number of physical processor count..I tried with SystemInfo API. Its giving logical processor count.

Thanks,
Ananda

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2008/08/05/How-to-get-physical-CPU-count-on-a-server.aspx
0 Kudos
hanratty
Beginner
Quoting - anandakumaryg
Hi,

Thanks,
Ananda
Now that dual-core processors are gaining in popularity, there has been some confusion over whether a dual-core processor counts as one or two. This discussion of multicore processor licensing may clear things up. The short answer is that a dual-core processor still counts as one processor.

For example, Windows XP Professional supports up to two processors. If you have two dual-core processors, Windows XP will use them both, for a total of four processing units. And if you enable hyperthreading on those processors, you get eight virtual processors out of the deal! Similarly, Windows XP Home supports one processor, but you if your one processor is a dual-core processor, then it will use both cores.

Now, I'm not so lucky as to actually have a dual-core machine, so I'm just taking it on faith that the linked article is correct. I haven't been able to run experiments to confirm.
0 Kudos