Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
870 Discussions

How to Trigger UR Using Software

Bit-Byte
Beginner

Dear Intel Developer,

Recently, I came across a document which mentioned something about triggering UR using software.

《 Direct-Assignment Networking Fault Isolation in a Data Center Environment 

1.3 Device-Generated Advanced Error Reporting Events Malformed I/O requests can also impact the overall system operation either triggering time consuming error handling flows or possibly causing system resets. Software running on the host CPU may inadvertently or purposefully violate the expected device access model. Some examples of these include host software attempting to read or write to non-existent memory offsets or generating misaligned accesses to device registers. In these cases, Intel® Ethernet devices generate Advanced Error Reporting (AER) indications in-band to the system chipset as either Unsupported Requests (URs) or Completer Aborts (CAs).

Unfortunately, I didn't gather detailed context from the statement. I'm reaching out to ask if you could shed some light on how this can be down?

Thank you for your assistance. I look forwad to your guidance.

Warm regards.

zijie Wei

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Bit-Byte
Beginner

When using SRIOV, only some Non-Fatal PCIe errors will print the TLP Header. Through the TLP Header, I can know the BDF number of the ep device. But if other errors occur, such as CTO(Completion Time Out), how do I know which ep device it is after the RP(Root Port) error is reported Problem?

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We need the information of the Ethernet card that you are using.

Could you please provide us the SSU logs following the guide- link below:

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

Thank You & Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Bit-Byte
Beginner

Hi Yogaeasvaran,

The devices I am using are all software-emulated, and it seems that this tool cannot scan them. Are there any other methods available?

Thank You & Regards,

zijie Wei

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Could you please provide us the Ethernet model number and system details.

Thank You & Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings,

Regarding your case number 06009561, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank You & Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings,

Regarding your case number 06009561, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank You & Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings,

Kindly note that we will move this thread to embedded community .

Thank You & Regards

Yogaeasvaran

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello  @Bit-Byte,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

This document is making reference to this vulnerability from the Intel® 82599 Ethernet Series:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00571.html

This issue was discovered by Asaf Modelevsky (Amazon Web Services).

Also, we don't have further information on how this could be done.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos