Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
864 Discussions

I225-IT Disappears after Firmware Update with EAT

mdursun
Beginner

Hi,

We have designed a custom board in which AGX-XAVIER and I225-IT exists. There is Ubuntu 20.04 on the xavier which has arm64 architecture. I have downloladed the EEPROM Access Tool and trying to flash the NVM.

Before writing to the NVM, I225-IT was being detected by EepromAccessTool as given below.

$sudo ./EepromAccessTool

Intel(R) EEPROM Access Tool NVM/OTP Programming Example Tool Version 0.8.0
Provided under the terms of a CNDA. Do Not Distribute.
Copyright(C) 2017-2020 by Intel(R) Corporation
NIC BUS DEV FUN Silicon Memory Type Present
=== === === === ===== ======================
No Memeory BAR resources supplied by OS/BIOS.
Tool will not work correctly without it.
1 1 0 0 I225 FLASH

I have write the binary file Retail_Beaver_Lake_2p00_G69016.bin which is obtained from  the following website https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html Release_28.2.1.

And I have read-back the file with dump and saw that it was written. Then I powered-off the board. After power-up I225-IT disappeared even from lspci list. What can be the reason of this?

Note: When I disconnect NVM connection with I225-IT it comes back again in lspci list

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mdursun:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We received your consultations, but we need to address the following questions to understand the situation:

Where do you download the EEPROM Access Tool?

What is the place of purchase of the Intel I225-IT Ethernet Controllers related to this situation?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
mdursun
Beginner
Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL,

I have downloaded the EEPROM Access Tool from Intel's website. I found the link in of the related question. It was suggested by an Intel employee.

We have bought the I225-IT from MOUSER.

Best Regards,
0 Kudos
mdursun
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

I have did some more search on the Intel community web site and I have found another firmware (FXVL_0D9F_IT_2MB_1.94.bin) that was looking more appropriate which is given in the following link.

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/615202

And replaced the flash chip with a new one onthe PCB. Then I have used the EepromAccessTool again. Finally, it flashed the  I225-IT properly. It's PHY side is working(LEDS are blinking)  and I225-IT can be seen in lspci list and also it can be seen by EepromAccessTool.

Suggestion: I think, there is some uncertainity about drivers/firmwares of the I225-IT. There should be more precise, accesible and understandable explanataions about drivers/firmwares in the datasheet of the I225-IT. 

On the other hand, I can not see the I225-IT as an ethernet connection when I look at with ifconfig command.  I have tried to install igc driver but nothing changed. What do I need to do to see the I225-IT as an Ethernet connection?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mdursun:

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that the Intel Ethernet Controllers have been acquired through an Intel Authorized Dealer. Due to this fact, we suggest addressing your questions about the Intel Ethernet at the place of purchase. They will be more than glad to help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL

0 Kudos
mdursun
Beginner

Hello @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

I need the Linux driver(Ubuntu 20.04 & arm64 architecture) of I225-IT which is said to be igc of INTEL.

There should be a user guide that instructs the steps of driver installation on LINUX, isn't it?

I don't think MOUSER will be as knowledgeable about igc driver as INTEL.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mdursun:

Thanks for your update.

Since the devices have been acquired through an Intel Authorized dealer they will be more than glad to assist you with your problem.

However, since this is related to Ubuntu OS, you should address your questions through the channel stated on the following website:

https://askubuntu.com/

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos