Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

I350-AM4 does not let data over phy interface and link resets periodically while in use.

E-Matt
Beginner

Hello,

I am bringing up a custom I350AM4 NIC which we have designed.  This design has not been reviewed by Intel and is the same board in message  https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/Bringing-up-flash-on-a-custom-I350AM4-design/m-p/1304030/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtSWjk4NlVTS0lOWEREfDEzMDQwMzB8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M3288 .

Since getting the EEPROM programmed and recognized by Linux as an I350 device, I'm having difficulty getting any data to flow through the device.  When I try to ping another computer connected to it the link resets about every 10 seconds and no packets make it through.  Looking at dmesg it keeps repeating (with a different time stamp for each):

[ +15.000933] igb 0000:04:00.0 eth1: igb: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX

I have used the EEPROM-less defaults in the datasheet when I programming the EEPROM, except those necessary to identify the device as an I350 Copper interface.  Is there a configuration setting or something I am missing that would not let data flow through but bring up the Ethernet interface up in Linux? 

I have verified that the power supplies look good and do not change at all through this whole process.  I have also verify the pin-out and connectivity such that they are identical to the I350 reference design (ID#323852).  Changing link speeds does not affect the behavior either.  To verify my network setup, I am also able to ping the network just fine with another intel NIC I have installed in the computer, although you have to take down the I350 interface before the other NIC works.  The cables I am using are also brand new and I have tried multiple cables all with the same results.

Thanks,

E-Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @E-Matt:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Design Center Community.

Based on your previous communication, we suggest following the suggestions sent through the email address to the address associated with this account related to the thread listed in your previous communication.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos