Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
854 Discussions

WGI210-IT - Flash File for NVMN

Kowaltksi
Beginner

Hi

We develop a Motherboard for a SMARC 2.1 computer module with Apollo Lake processor and want to extend the Interfaces with 2 additional Ethernet lanes.

For this we connect two WGI210-IT units by PCIe to the SMARC module.

We already have access to the eeupdate tool, but we have sevaral problems to flash the NVMN:

- first we used the same Flash Chip (SST25VF040B) as you use in the reference schematic.

with this chip we are not able to flash it.

have now tried to flash the I210 NICs, but can only write to the iNVM. Not the EEPROM, because I am missing the *.bin files.

I no longer have Unprogrammed, but

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

but I cannot set the MAC address because the calculation of the checksum fail

root@mdrE759332:/data/intel/bin# ./eeupdate64e /nic=2 /mac=8086F273dd6a /INVMUPDATE

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.40.5

EEUPDATE v5.40.05.03

Copyright (C) 1995 - 2023 Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Confidential and not for general distribution.

NIC Bus Dev Fun Vendor-Device  Branding string

=== === === === ============= =================================================

1   1  00  00   8086-157B    Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection

2   2  00  00   8086-1533    Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection

2: Updating Mac Address to 8086F273DD6A...Done.

2: Updating Checksum and CRCs...EEPROM Manageability Checksum update failed. Error C86A202A - Failed to calculate Manageability CRC/Checksum.

Can you please ask Intel Support, with the exact name of the installed component (we use WGI210IT) for the production flash images for 512 kB memory

The flash files I have

513655_I210_I211_Production_images

all start at 4 MB.

--> can you provide us the correct flash file?

You can find our schematic attached.

Furthermore a second test with a larger Flash (W25Q16JVSNIQ) did not work either - i attached the log of the NVMN Update process.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello,  @Kowaltksi:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We need to clarify that the Apollo Lake processors have been discontinued and are no longer supported, as you may verify on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022396/processors.html 

Due to this, the cited processor family is not suggested for new designs.

However,  we suggest verifying that the affected implementation fulfills the requirements stated in the answers to questions  2.23,  2.9, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, and 2.9, on pages 9, 6,  and 8 of the Intel® Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that can be found in the following website:

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/334026/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Also, you may find the available documentation for the Apollo Lake processors on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/platforms/details/apollo-lake/docs.html 

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Kowaltksi
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

We tried a few files but we get always the same errors.

I dont know what we do false?

see pictures attached.

do you have any idea what we are doing wrong?

BR

Tom

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Kowaltksi:

Thanks for your reply.

You are using a processor out of service.

However, based on the received information, we need to address the following questions:

Where did you buy the Intel® Ethernet  I210-IT Controllers related to the reported inconvenience?

What is the procedure that you have followed to obtain the files mentioned in your last message?

Where do you download the files mentioned in your previous message?

What is the tool that you are using to update the files listed in your last communication? Where do you obtain it?

Please let us know the answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Kowaltksi
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Now i tried it with a new SA7 SMARC module with Intel X6425RE Prozessor - i got the same result...

What is the procedure that you have followed to obtain the files mentioned in your last message?

--> In the tool lanconf i choosed the INVM Update and tried to update the flash. 

I tried update Image and Update module, both failed.

Also a Flash Update failed.

--> We bought the I210 controllers by the distributor mouser.

Where do you download the files mentioned in your previous message?

--> @intel download center , i have access to the developer zone.

What is the tool that you are using to update the files listed in your last communication? Where do you obtain it?

--> i used the tool lanconf   V1.40.5.3

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello,  @Kowaltksi:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest contacting the place of purchase of the devices related to your consultations to help you with your requests.

They will be more than glad to help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Kowaltksi
Beginner

Now I am being pushed on for the 3rd time with my request...

How can I find out who can help me from the German Intel representative?
Can you give me a contact for this?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Kowaltksi:

Thanks for your update.

Please follow the procedure given in our previous communication, to find a solution to your problem quickly.

We are giving you a suggestion to help you because the Apollo Lake processors, which are used in the implementation related to your consultation, are out of support, as we mentioned in our first communication.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Kowaltksi
Beginner

we have the same problem with an elkhart lake cpu module (see reply above) - so please don't dwell on it.

we use this modules (https://www.congatec.com/de/produkte/smarc/conga-sa7/) and the I210 is connected to a PCIe lane on our motherboard.

by lanconf oder eeupdate tool i can communicate with the I210 but i dont have the right flash-file.

Can you please have a look at our schematic and send me the right flash-file for our solution?

regarding other help:

please tell me who can i ask?

We suggest contacting the place of purchase of the devices related to your consultations to help you with your requests.

--> where can i find it? can you give me some contact details? 

at the moment we dont have an intel contact person. 

The last one is no longer employed at intel and we have not yet received a successor, even after repeated requests...

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Kowaltksi:

Thanks for your reply.

We want to clarify that you need to contact the place of purchase of the Ethernet Controllers (Mouser, as you mentioned) to help you because this company is an Intel Authorized Distributor.

We hope that this information may clarify our previous suggestion.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos