Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems

i210 in system programming

DanielGoertzen
Beginner

We've designed the i210 into a product and we would like to do in-system programming of the i210's flash memory from Linux.  I understand that tools for this are available through the "Premier Account", but we've been trying to get access for over 2 months to no avail.  So my questions are:

1. Is the "Premier Account" in fact what I need to get i210 programming tools?

2. Are there alternatives to these tools?  For example, I've seen other ethernet ICs programmed with "ethtool"; can that be done for the i210?

Thanks,

Dan.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dan, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since your query involves customized board, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

May you have an amazing day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DanielGoertzen:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information used to answer questions 2.14, 2.15, and 2.16; on page 8 of the  Intel® Ethernet Controller I210/I211
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document # 335346 may answer your last question. You can find the cited document at the following website:

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/334026/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf 

Based on the cited information, the documents and tools listed are accessible when you have a premier account, as you mentioned.

You need to update your profile to the premier option to help you. You should fill out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/developer/premier-registration.html 

You should use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the one provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
DanielGoertzen
Beginner

Thank you Carlos.

We have reached out to a few partners in an effort to get premier access for i210 programming tools, but no results yet.  Our impression from our partners is that this sort of thing is quite difficult to get.

In any case, I need to try moving forward with the programming tools that I do have, which is ethtool and linux kernel drivers.  From going through the code and datasheet I see that I have the following capabilities:

- I can write to the flash in eeprom emulation mode

- I cannot write the flash in general... so no writing firmware (not that I have that anyway).

- I cannot write to the iNVM.

So some possible paths:

1. I understand the i210 has firmware in ROM.  If I'm using flash and I've written "eeprom" config to flash but nothing else (ie no firmware), will chip be able to use ROM firmware?

2. Can the i210 operate flashless and with no iNVM config?  Setting a MAC address in software at system boot time is an option for our custom board.

Regards,

Dan.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DanielGoertzen:

Thanks for your reply.

We want to address the following question to understand this situation:

Could you please let us know where you acquire the Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 associated with your request?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
DanielGoertzen
Beginner

We acquired WGI210ISSLJXW from Mouser on 4 Nov 2022.

Regards,

Dan.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DanielGoertzen:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent an email to the address related to this account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DanielGoertzen:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent another email to the address related to this account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL

0 Kudos