Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1156 Discussions

Disable Intel Dynamic Application Loader (DAL) on Intel Atom 6413E

Christian_SIE
Beginner

Hello,

I would like to disable the Intel Dynamic Application Loader on the Intel Atom 6413E.

I am developing a system for a customer, which sees DAL as a security concern and as there is no intended use of this feature, this attack vector should be closed.

What are the implications of disabling Intel DAL? How can it be disabled? If it can not be disabled: Is this related to the selected SoC?

Background:
We develop a system based on the Computer On Module Express (COM Express) standard. To be precise, we develop the carrier board, which hosts e.g. the IO of the system. And we buy the module, which houses the CPU, RAM and voltage regulators, from a vendor, which also adopts the BIOS to our customer needs.

CPU used: Intel 6413E

Information from MEInfo.efi:
ME Version: 15.40.10.2252 LP Consumer
FW Capabilities: 0x30309200

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello,  @Christian_SIE:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We received your request but we want to address the following consultation:

Could you please let us know the place of purchase of the Intel Atom® x6413E Processor related to your request?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,
@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Christian_SIE
Beginner

Hello @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

we purchase the module, which contains the processor, thru Rutronik. The module manufacturer is iBase.

Best regards

@Christian_SIE 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Christian_SIE:

Thanks for your clarification.

You need to address the consultations related to the devices manufactured by the third-company mentioned in your previous message, as a reference by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.ibase.com.tw/en/technical_support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Christian_SIE
Beginner

Hello @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

I am in contact with iBase. My goal with this post was a second opinion on Intel DAL, what it deeply does and whether it can be deactivated. 

The information I got on Intel DAL, and whether it can be deactivated or not, is inconsistent to my current understanding of the system.

Can you refer me any document numbers to Intel DAL, how it is linked to other components or anything at all?

Best regard

@Christian_SIE 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Christian_SIE:

Thanks for your update.

For any third-party device , we can only provided generic information that should be verified by the manufacturer that it applies for their device.

By the way, the information that may answer your request is accessible when your account is an Intel Developer Zone Premier account. Due to this, you should update it by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Your business email address is needed to avoid any inconvenience. The free email provider's address (such as the one provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others) is not the proper one for this process. This information and more details can be found on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

Best regards,
@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Christian_SIE
Beginner

Hello @CarlosAM_INTEL,

I am confused about your last answer, as this account is the same I use for the Developer Zone to access restricted content. As the search function is not as straight forward as it could be, I can not really find any good document, which explains why Intel DAL has to be enabled for the ME to work as stated by the third party device manufacturer.

Best regards

@Christian_SIE 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Christian_SIE:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent an email to the address associated with this account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos