Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Intel Embedded Media and Graphics Driver - Configurator

VBiel
Novice

Hi

I have an Atom with GMA3600. I'm trying to build a driver for XP for it with Full HD resolution. I have defined a new DTD with 1920x1080x32bpp@60Hz, and built a driver from it. However, after installing I can see only resolutions 1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 1920x1440 (though I disabled these resolutions in the configurator). I'm attaching my configuration editor files. What could be wrong?

Thanks

Viktor

7 Replies
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello viktorbielko,

Here is a response from our support team:

"Please try to confirm your display supporting the resolution 1920*1080. And you could try the test configuration editor file (attached) which I have installed successfully with resolution 1920*1080.

If you have further questions, please let me know. Good luck."

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

We've not had time to look at the provided files but I can give you some general guidance:

The driver will use an EDID from your display if EDID is enabled in the driver configuration.

If you have a DTD defined, with EDID enabled, and the EDID does not have an entry that matches the DTD, then the mode specified by the DTD will be filtered off.

You can FORCE the driver to use the DTD by changing the EDID configuration to have EDID reading turned off. This is provided to override bad EDID in displays. Keep in mind this will make the driver always pick the DTD timing no matter what.

If you have a display with a bad EDID,your best course is to contact the provider of the display and get it fixed.

My bet is the display does NOT support 1920 x 1080 but actually supports on 1920 x 1440 as the modes provided.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
VBiel
Novice

Hello Kirk and Lynn

Thank you for replying. The display is an Acer LCD monitor connected by a VGA cable. (It is a native FullHD and works with other computers.)

It seems the problem is more with installation of the driver. I generated an installation even from the configuration sent by Lynn and installed it. I found the problem, when I open the Display Properties - Settings - Advanced. In the tab Adapter when I click "List all modes" it does not show the resoluiton needed. And if I click Display config or Display attributes I get an error message:

Error Detected! Aborting. Please verify if EMGD is active.

I assume something went wrong during the installation. I tried to reinstall it several times, always with the same output. I get the same error, if I try to run the emgdui.exe. The machine is Windows XP SP3.

Thank you very much

Viktor

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Viktor,

1. I have a native FullHD display, and in the tab Adapter when I click "List all modes" it already shows the resolution 1920 x 1080 without graphic driver.

2. And the generated driver sent by Lynn is installed successfully with Full HD resolution.

So I doubt whether your display supports 1920 x 1080 or maybe not? I would suggest you to download Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series (installed on OS Windows 7) to verify your display supporting 1920 x 1080 at first.

Download Link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22633&keyword=3600&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22633&keyword=3600&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

Hope this helps.

William

0 Kudos
VBiel
Novice

Hello

When I connect the display to a notebook as external display with VGA cable, I have the FullHD in the list. I'm using VGA connection with my configuration too.

What I received from Lynn was not a driver, but the configuration file for IEMGD tool. My suspicion is, that the something wrong is with installation of IEMGD, as it is either not generating good drivers, or something. The drivers that are generated on my machine look like not starting the EMGD.

Could you please, send the driver installation file(zip) that you generated with the configuration? That would help to confirm that it is a software problem.

Thank you very much once again.

Viktor

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The official release of the driver, including the configuration tool is here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21902 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21902

EMGD 1.15.1 is the current version.

If you try to install the EMGD driver over the top of itself, or other GMA drivers, you can get things very confused. I've found if you do the F8 key before Windows loads, you will get a menu that offers you to start up in "VGA Mode" and if you install the driver (using the included EMGD Setup program in that mode, it works better.

We have also found that sometimes Windows gets itself all messed up and the installation needs to be refreshed by installing XP again. Hopefully you are not in that situatuation.

Something you should know- the EMGD from the EDC is for embedded applications, not general computer use. We support our embedded customers here, and expect them to have a high degree of technical capability for us to do support.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Viktor,

The attachment is an install file which is generated from Lynn's configure file.And the driver is installed successfully with Full HD resolution.

So you could try this install file. If there is still problem, please try to update or reinstall your OS.

Hope this helps.

William

0 Kudos