Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

82580 eeprom FW

HSakm
Beginner

Hello,

we designed a board with an 82580EB (4 ports) on, we have placed an eeprom (AT25256B) and a flash (AT25SF081) next to it. We use 3 of these 4 ports and 1 is left unconnected.

After signing the CNDA we received the FWs for the eeprom, and we used "eeupdatew64e" to update our eeprom with the FW we selected (.hex) version.

After this update we got "successful" message and we started seeing "Intel(R) 82580 Gigabit Network Connection" in Device Manager of Windows (Windows 10). Before this FW update we were seeing this device as "other devices", so I believe we successfully managed to get the FW update done.

But now we have the attached window as the "device managers" list (we correctly have three devices) and when we double click on one of the 82580 lines we get the message (also can be seen in the attached window) :

This device cannot start (Code 10)

{Operation failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Is this a driver issue ? (we use driver version 23.2 for windows)

Or is this a HW issue like flash maynot be reached or something like that?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hakan

Yes you need to program a MAC address into each interface.

to Do this, use eeupdate /nic=x /mac=

Where the nic is one of the 82580 interfaces.

running eeupdate on its own will list the nic numbers.

Regards

Mark

View solution in original post

22 Replies
HSakm
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

thank you, I filled in the form.I am looking ofrward to receiving support as we are at testing/debugging phase of our prototypes.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hakan

I have not implemented a transformer-less design so the following are just observations.

Firstly AP-438 is for 100 Base-T controllers so it is not really correct for the 82580.

You need to capacitively couple all 3 MDIO lanes between the two devices from your observations above I suspect you have only connected two lanes.

The 82580 uses Voltage level drivers so you shouldn't need the termination networks this may be why the links are unstable.

I read in another post the coupling capacitors should be 0.47uF but this value may need to be changed for your design.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos