Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

VID and its clock sequence

idata
Employee

Hello everyone,

I get a new problem about VID provided by CPU.I know CPU can send VID to change Vcore supplied for CPU.And I also get the datasheet of the chip which is used to supply power for CPU.But I want to know what VID consists of.It may include seven bits ID to identify the value of voltage.And what else does it include?Then I also want to know VRD12,the rules established by Intel.Is it useful for my question?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Fupeng_Wang,

Thanks for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you as a reference is stated in section 5.3, on pages 28 and 29 of the http://www.intel.com/Assets/en_US/PDF/designguide/321736.pdf Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) and Enterprise Voltage Regulator-Down (EVRD) 11.1 Design Guide; in section 1.6.1 on pages from 34 to 38 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/design-guide/voltage-regulator-down-11-1-processor-power-delivery-guidelines.pdf Voltage Regulator-Down (VRD) 11.1 Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines; and in section 3.2, on pages 18 and 19 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/voltage-regulator-module-enterprise-voltage-regulator-down-10-0-guidelines.pdf VRM and EVRD 10.0 Design Guidelines.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

I'm sorry that I forgot my English name ,Lich_Wang in my letter.Thanks for your reply.I have read the sections you mentioned.As we can see,these ones all follow VRD11.1 or lower version.According to the rules above,VID is transport in paralel way by using eight pins instead of serial way by using one pin called data.I know intel has bring out VRD12 using a serial way to transport data .

The picture above consists of two waves.The yellow one represents the clock of VID bus.And the blue one represents the data of VID bus.In the data code,it include 35 bits at least.But only 8 bits in it is useful to us,VID.I don't know which period is VID.This is the problem I really need.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

Things get new development.I think I have to understand VR12.6 rules.Because I find that the chip which supply power for CPU follow VR12.6 rules.I think the rules will give me what I want.So,can you provide it to me?Thanks very much.

Best regards

Lich_Wang

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Fupeng_Wang,

Thanks for your replies.

The VID information that may help you is stated in section 3, on pages from 19 to 50 of the https://www.rom.by/files/4_wire_pwm_spec_rev1.4.pdf VR12.0/IMVP7 Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Specification document # 397113.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your reply.I have read VR12.5 Specification.It has the same content as the section you mentioned.Of course it show me many things about sequence what I need.But the chip we use for supplying power is follow VR12.6 Specification.And there is a loophole in both VR12.5 and the article you mentioned.As we all know,VID is made up of Start,Address,CMD,Payload,check code and END.In VR12.5 and the article you mentioned,I can't find the CMD part.So this is the most important issue now.However,thanks for searching infomation for me.

best regards

Lich_Wang

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Lich,

Thanks for your update.

We will keep looking for further information and we will get in contact with you if we find something helpful.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

idata
Employee

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your reply.And I'm looking forward to your contact.

Best regards

Lich_Wang

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Fupeng_Wang,

Thanks for your reply.

We are working to give you an update as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Fupeng_Wang,

We have contacted you via email with information that can help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos

Thanks for your reply.I have received the mail from EDC_Technical Support.I'm sorry for replying you so late because of the National Day.Thanks

best regards

Lich_Wang

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Fupeng_Wang,

Thanks for your reply.

We are glad to hear that you have received our email.

We hope that the information stated there can be the one that can help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos