Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4974 Discussions

DAC Cable that works with X722 and Ubuntu 22.04

chalo
Beginner

I am having trouble finding a DAC cable that works with my X722 NIC.  Does anybody know of a cable that they have gotten to work?  Or if there are any specific restrictions to the cables that will work?

The NIC is recognized and the DAC cable is seen, however it does not light up when connected to my switch (an HPE/Aruba Procurve model).  Neither the server nor the switch log any errors.

The NIC is part of a Supermicro SYS-5019D-4C-FN8TP

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/1u/5019/sys-5019d-4c-fn8tp.cfm

The OS is Ubuntu 22.04.  Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic.

I have tried two different DAC cables from fs.com.  I was particularly hopeful model-36784 would work because it is the HPE Procurve encoded version of an Intel XDACBL1M, which I saw in the compatibility list for X722.

https://www.fs.com/products/36784.html

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20Ethernet&prdName=Intel%C2%AE%20Ethernet%20Network%20Adapter%20X722-DA2/DA4

root@ubuntu:~# lshw -c network
*-network:2
description: Ethernet interface
product: Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GbE SFP+
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0.2
bus info: pci@0000:b5:00.2
logical name: eno7
version: 04
serial: 7c:c2:55:e1:1c:84
capacity: 10Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical 1000bt-fd 10000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=i40e driverversion=5.15.0-105-generic firmware=5.50 0x80003351 1.3082.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes
resources: iomemory:38c00-38bff iomemory:38c00-38bff irq:36 memory:38c002000000-38c002ffffff memory:38c005010000-38c005017fff memory:fbd00000-fbd7ffff memory:38c004800000-38c004bfffff memory:38c005120000-38c00519ffff
root@ubuntu:~# ethtool -m eno7
        Identifier                                : 0x03 (SFP)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Extended identifier                       : 0x04 (GBIC/SFP defined by 2-wire interface ID)
        Connector                                 : 0x07 (LC)
        Transceiver codes                         : 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
        Transceiver type                          : 10G Ethernet: 10G Base-SR
        Encoding                                  : 0x06 (64B/66B)
        BR, Nominal                               : 10300MBd
        Rate identifier                           : 0x00 (unspecified)
        Length (SMF,km)                           : 0km
        Length (SMF)                              : 0m
        Length (50um)                             : 80m
        Length (62.5um)                           : 30m
        Length (Copper)                           : 0m
        Length (OM3)                              : 300m
        Laser wavelength                          : 850nm
        Vendor name                               : FS
        Vendor OUI                                : 00:1f:22
        Vendor PN                                 : SFPP-PC01
        Vendor rev                                : 10
        Option values                             : 0x00 0x1a
        Option                                    : RX_LOS implemented
        Option                                    : TX_FAULT implemented
        Option                                    : TX_DISABLE implemented
        BR margin, max                            : 0%
        BR margin, min                            : 0%
        Vendor SN                                 : G2340552789-1
        Date code                                 : 231211
root@ubuntu:~# ip link show eno7
6: eno7: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 7c:c2:55:e1:1c:84 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp181s0f2

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrew,

Hope you are doing well.

Please follow the steps listed in the link below to identify the compatible DAC cable that will work with Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X722-DA2.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054795/ethernet-products/700-series-network-adapters-up-to-40gbe.html

However, if the NIC card is an OEM product, kindly reach out to the OEM partner to get their advise on the supported transceivers and cables.

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi chalo,

Good day to you.

Just wanted to follow up with you, kindly let us know if you require further info.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Fikri_Intel

0 Kudos
chalo
Beginner

I did open a case with Supermicro support and they did not see a reason the DAC cable would not work with the X722 NIC.  They also confirmed I have the latest firmware for the NIC that they currently release.

My theory is that the NIC does not support DACs/transceivers that are not encoded as Intel.  However, I can't test this theory without trial and error purchasing.

I was hoping somebody would know if these NICs did have such a restriction.  It seems odd that nobody seems to know what is supported.  It also seems odd the driver does not output anything, if there is a problem with the DAC/transceiver not being supported.

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi chalo,

Understand that you have contacted Supermicro support regarding this. Since you mentioned that you tried two different cables from fs.com, we advise you to contact fs.com support regarding this matter as they will assist you further on the compatibility of the cable with the specific model you are currently using.

If you have any other enquiries related to this, please let us know.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi chalo,

Greetings!

Please follow the plan of action (POA) shared by us i.e. to to contact fs.com support regarding this matter as they will assist you further on the compatibility of the cable with the specific model you are currently using.

Aside, if there is any other issue, please feel free to write back to us.

Regards,

Subhashish_Intel.

0 Kudos
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi Chalo,

Hope you are doing good.

We would appreciate your feedback for this issue. If there is no further assistance needed from Intel Support, we would like to obtain your approval to archive this thread.

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi Chalo,

Warm greetings to you.

Since we did not hear back from you for sometime. We will move ahead and archive this thread from Intel Customer Support End.

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos