Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

How to access GLV_REPC counter for Intel X710 NIC

NChau13
Novice

I am referring to - ' Intel® Ethernet Controller X710/XXV710/XL710 Datasheet'  (Revision: 3.65 August 2019).

And I see that based on the RXMAX configuration, this counter will be incremented if the packet of L2 size greater than configured value for RXMAX is received.

But, in the data-sheet, I am unable to find a way to access that register.

Looks like this issue is being seen by others as well - http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2015-August/023089.html

How can I access the GLV_REPC register ?

If we want to count the packets which were dropped due to MTU size configuration (RXMAX), is there is any other way apart from GLV_REPC ?

Also, I see that there is another option of `Set MAC Config`.

I want to know how the system will behave if both, RXMAX config for each queue and the `Max Buffer Size` of `Set MAC Config` is also set together.

Is there any precedence as we have two approaches to achieve the same thing ?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since based on the links that you have provided, your inquiry involves DPDK, we have a different team who supports DPDK.

Please open the link below to log your inquiry.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html

Click the "Login and Access" to contact the DPDK support 

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

@AlfredS_Intel​ 

No, my query is not related to DPDK.

It's about the driver which we are implementing based on the above mentioned Intel X710 NIC data-sheet.

I only had shared that DPDK related link as a backup to my argument that other teams are also finding it difficult to get that information.

Sorry for the confusion ...

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Thank you for clarifying your concern.

No apologies needed.

May we know for what operating system the driver that you are implementing is for?

Looking forward to your response. Should we not get your response, we will check back with you after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

Hi @AlfredS_Intel​,

we are developing it on top of the Linux (kernel version 4.14) i40e driver. 

I have verified that even the Linux i40e driver haven't exposed the GLV_REPC register to ethtool.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Are you able to give us output of the ethtool -i command?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

Hi @AlfredS_Intel​ ,

here it is

~# ethtool -i i40epf0 driver: i40e version: 1.3.46-k firmware-version: 6.01 0x800035d5 0.0.0 expansion-rom-version: bus-info: 0000:06:00.0 supports-statistics: yes supports-test: yes supports-eeprom-access: yes supports-register-dump: yes supports-priv-flags: yes ~#   ~# ethtool -S i40epf0 NIC statistics: rx_packets: 0 tx_packets: 0 rx_bytes: 0 tx_bytes: 0 rx_errors: 0 tx_errors: 0 rx_dropped: 0 tx_dropped: 0 collisions: 0 rx_length_errors: 0 rx_crc_errors: 0 rx_unicast: 0 tx_unicast: 0 rx_multicast: 0 tx_multicast: 0 rx_broadcast: 0 rx_unknown_protocol: 0 tx_linearize: 0 tx-0.tx_packets: 0 tx-0.tx_bytes: 0 rx-0.rx_packets: 0 rx-0.rx_bytes: 0 tx-1.tx_packets: 0 tx-1.tx_bytes: 0 rx-1.rx_packets: 0 rx-1.rx_bytes: 0 tx-2.tx_packets: 0 tx-2.tx_bytes: 0 rx-2.rx_packets: 0 rx-2.rx_bytes: 0 tx-3.tx_packets: 0 tx-3.tx_bytes: 0 rx-3.rx_packets: 0 rx-3.rx_bytes: 0 tx-4.tx_packets: 0 tx-4.tx_bytes: 0 rx-4.rx_packets: 0 rx-4.rx_bytes: 0 tx-5.tx_packets: 0 tx-5.tx_bytes: 0 rx-5.rx_packets: 0 rx-5.rx_bytes: 0 tx-6.tx_packets: 0 tx-6.tx_bytes: 0 rx-6.rx_packets: 0 rx-6.rx_bytes: 0 tx-7.tx_packets: 0 tx-7.tx_bytes: 0 rx-7.rx_packets: 0 rx-7.rx_bytes: 0 port.rx_bytes: 0 port.tx_bytes: 0 port.rx_unicast: 0 port.tx_unicast: 0 port.rx_multicast: 0 port.tx_multicast: 0 port.rx_broadcast: 0 port.tx_broadcast: 0 port.tx_errors: 0 port.rx_dropped: 0 port.tx_dropped_link_down: 0 port.rx_crc_errors: 0 port.illegal_bytes: 0 port.mac_local_faults: 0 port.mac_remote_faults: 0 port.tx_timeout: 0 port.rx_csum_bad: 0 port.rx_length_errors: 0 port.link_xon_rx: 0 port.link_xoff_rx: 0 port.link_xon_tx: 0 port.link_xoff_tx: 0 port.rx_size_64: 0 port.rx_size_127: 0 port.rx_size_255: 0 port.rx_size_511: 0 port.rx_size_1023: 0 port.rx_size_1522: 0 port.rx_size_big: 0 port.tx_size_64: 0 port.tx_size_127: 0 port.tx_size_255: 0 port.tx_size_511: 0 port.tx_size_1023: 0 port.tx_size_1522: 0 port.tx_size_big: 0 port.rx_undersize: 0 port.rx_fragments: 0 port.rx_oversize: 0 port.rx_jabber: 0 port.VF_admin_queue_requests: 5006859 port.rx_hwtstamp_cleared: 0 port.fdir_flush_cnt: 0 port.fdir_atr_match: 0 port.fdir_atr_tunnel_match: 0 port.fdir_atr_status: 1 port.fdir_sb_match: 0 port.fdir_sb_status: 1 port.tx_lpi_status: 0 port.rx_lpi_status: 0 port.tx_lpi_count: 0 port.rx_lpi_count: 0 port.tx_priority_0_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_0_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_1_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_1_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_2_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_2_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_3_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_3_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_4_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_4_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_5_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_5_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_6_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_6_xoff: 0 port.tx_priority_7_xon: 0 port.tx_priority_7_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_0_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_0_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_1_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_1_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_2_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_3_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_3_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_4_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_4_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_5_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_5_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_6_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_6_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_7_xon: 0 port.rx_priority_7_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_0_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_1_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_2_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_3_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_4_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_5_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_6_xon_2_xoff: 0 port.rx_priority_7_xon_2_xoff: 0 ~#

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

We appreciate the time that you took out of your busy schedule to share that information.

We will be investigating your concern, and we will give you an update no later than 3 business days from now.

We may need to ask for more information during the investigation process.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Please disregard the email that you have received. It seems like our system sent you a case note. We will continue communicating via this thread.

After checking your concern for a few days, our team noticed that you are using the in-kernel driver of i40e. Please try to download the latest version from this link, and test if your concern has any improvements.

Please let us know of the results. Should we not hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

Hi @AlfredS_Intel​ ,

I can try that.

But, I will need the register information like address/offset.

The data-sheet doesn’t really provide any information about how can I access the GLV_REPC register.

I still need to know how will I be able to access it even with the new driver you are asking me to use.

If you can provide me the data like register address/offset, only than I will be able to verify.

But, before testing out the new suggested driver,

·      do you confirm that this register does exist, works properly and it’s just a matter of insufficient documentation ?

·      Or the new driver does have a patch which will expose this register details and can work only with the new driver.

Thanks,

- Nachiket C.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Thank you for your reply.

We need some time to answer the questions that you have laid out.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

@AlfredS_Intel​ 

Any updates on this ?

Thanks,

- Nachiket C.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Thank you for your patience. Please allow us more time to answer the questions that you have laid out.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
NChau13
Novice

Hi @AlfredS_Intel​ ,

do we have any latest updates on this case ?

Thanks,

- Nachiket C.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

Sent you a PM. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter.

We are still checking and looking at your case. Please allow us more time to provide you the information that you need.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

We still have not heard from you, and we are thinking that you need more time to check our recommendations.

We will get just follow up with you are 3 business days to give you more time.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi NChau13,

We are following up on your thread that is still open where you are inquiring on how to access How to access GLV_REPC counter for Intel X710 NIC. We know that this is important for you to get your questions answered and it is also equally important for us to give you the right answers. Since we have not heard from you for several days, the case will automatically close.

You may want to post a new thread once you are ready to proceed with the issue.

Thank you for choosing Intel.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos