Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4881 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
SVanc3
Beginner

THANK YOU for this detailed summary. I hope everyone reads this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also, here is what Microsoft has to say on the matter with respect to native OS support for LBFO in Windows 10:

NOTE: The NIC Teaming feature is available only on Windows Server 2012 and later server operating systems. This feature is not available on Windows 10 or any other client operating systems. The NIC Teaming Windows PowerShell cmdlets are available on Windows 10 and other client operating systems to enable the management of NIC teams on remote computers that are running Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012, R2 and Windows Server 2012.

Source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj130849.aspx NIC Teaming (NetLBFO) Cmdlets in Windows PowerShell

So if anyone wants to pitch a fit at anyone it should be Microsoft who has made it abundently clear that they have no interest in offering native support for Teaming / VLANing in client OS SKUs. Intel is working with Microsoft to ensure they can provide a solid third-party implementation via ANS to fulfill this need in the community. It's not been an easy haul. I also have been frustrated with how long it has taken and the winding road to get here. But the bottom line is that Intel owes no one anything here. If you brought suit it would be promptly thrown out. It's all hot air. To win a lawsuit you need to be able to show you suffered monetary damages. I find it hard to believe anyone has quantifiable damages, in terms of dollars, as a result of this issue. The court would likely also recognize that Intel is working in good faith to restore this functionality. So what would the case be? That it's not fast enough for your liking?

Give me a break, crawl back under your respective bridges, and when the driver is released in a week or so, let's all download, install, and sing kumbaya around a campfire so we can all move on with our lives.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks jdijulio for the details and your accuracy. The interesting piece is that the only change in the v22 driver (from the initial Windows 10 release) to our teaming/VLAN code is the check for the correct OS patch. Functionally, it is the same code set.

The good news I got just a few seconds ago was that the V22.0 has reached our internal PV milestone, which means all code has been checked in with proper driver certifications and can now be sent to the team that creates the web packs for posting to the Intel download center. I've requested to make that an high priority for that team (assuming I have any pull any longer. ).

Just a few more days now... then I'll be able to change this thread to "Answered"!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Carl_Wilson - And you're welcome, as well.

Looking forward to the good news over the next few days!

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

Precise, excellent and correct.

Also note that there is no "bad guy" and I'm amazed on how MS and Intel managed to help the customers. They both did a great job in finding a solution.

For everyone in the industry I think you know that to have a backport is REALLY amazing because is "money flushed down the tube" (you already have a working solution in the "near" future) so I think we achieved something great here!

and Carl is the one that mostly pushed to align the stars and open the gate

0 Kudos
MMous5
Beginner

I've always had the option for vlans and teaming on my nic config page (even though its one port nic), so has this never worked with windows 10?

I wanted to upgrade to 10gbit, but the price is just too high, I can't justify 1000$ router for simple file transfers. I wish I could use the usb 3.0 ports I have between my PC and my file server.

Anyhow, looked into teaming my ubuntu server and my windows 10 box with a second addin nic. I found the command that people reference, it doesn't work as said.

Then I found out m$ broke the actual nic teaming on the interface level.

So I'm like crapola. out of luck on both fronts.

Whys it so hard to get more then 1gbit speeds these days =/

Anyways, does the teaming have to be on the same chipset aka dual port nic card? or can I get an addin card or even usb plugin with one port and team it with the port on my mobo? (assuming this new driver thing gets released)

If all else fails I guess I'll have to get two 10gig nics and a crossover cable.

0 Kudos
DBlac7
Novice

Happy New Driver Eve everyone......

JBayn2
Novice

Lol probably the best driver joke I'll ever read on a support forum. Well done sir.

0 Kudos
CKlut
Novice

The Driver is finally here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-Connections-CD Download Intel® Ethernet Adapters Connections CD

Unbelievable

Edit: Just created my LACP Team with 2 Intel X520 Nics but interestingly the Team doesn't show up with 20gbit but only 10gbit because one adapter is active and the other is standby. That shouldn't be the case with LACP.

CCook4
Beginner

All working fine here with two X540s. Both adapters active on LACP showing as 20 Gbit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting... I have been refreshing this page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

To no avail (still doesn't show the now latest version).

Maybe it will take a few hours / day or so to be updated there as well, all Carl_Wilson ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I saw that... Just wondering why the page I linked wasn't also getting the latest download. Seems like it should. Maybe it'll just take some time. Weird.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

I used the "search for drivers" page, and when I searched "I219", the result did not have the new driver. I tried again, letting it autocomplete to "Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V", and that result has mostly 21.1, and at the very top, the 22.0.1 CD.

[Immediate update: Now it's gone again. Oh dear. I hope that's not a bad sign. My VLANs work right now, at least.]

0 Kudos
CCook4
Beginner

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-Connections-CD Download Intel® Ethernet Adapters Connections CD

The files are here, They are working fine - for me at least. They have not been deleted or moved.

How many more posts do we need about downloading them?!!

Can we talk about the drivers now, and get back on topic?

0 Kudos
TScot2
Beginner

I got a BSOD when adding a VLAN.

Windows 10 1607 14393.693

Dell Latitude E7240, I218-LM

Error BAD POOL CALLER 0x000000c2 (0x0000000000000007, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd98fe7912e7c)

Windows reports the driver version 12.15.23.9 26/10/2016 - is this correct?

Networking is working ok, however the VLAN wasn't created.

I'll try again later - I've got work to do right now.

0 Kudos
Bbb1
Beginner

I think i'm dreaming. After such a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1k6vioRQB8 It is working  

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Most probably a false positive. I know for sure intel developers run every line of code through virus scans (thats your packers job right) looking for false positives so how did this slip throught the net?

0 Kudos
KBonn1
Beginner

I have successfully installed the new drivers for my i211 and i219 on my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5. Team setup successfully with LACP and my Cisco SG300, showing 2GB connection. Will test VLAN access later this weekend.

Not sure if this was discussed somewhere in this thread, but I figured I would also post the driver versions the NIC team has and the adapters themselves.

Team# 0

Driver Provider: Intel

Date: 3/20/2016

Version: 9.9.0.53

NIC1: Intel I211

Driver Provider: intel

Date: 12/8/2016

Version: 12.15.184.0

NIC2: Intel I219-V

Driver Provider: Intel

Date: 10/26/2016

Version: 12.15.23.9

0 Kudos
ZNg
Beginner

I was looking at an alternative to add vlan and went down this route as hyper v has this support in windows 10. Hope it helps someone

This works for windows 10

ADD Hyper V role

Add external vswitch to hyper v I called mine prod

Then run the following powershell

Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name Vlan2 -SwitchName Prod

Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -VMNetworkAdapterName Vlan2 -ManagementOS -Access -VlanId 2

Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name HQSEREVERS -SwitchName Prod

Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -VMNetworkAdapterName HQSEREVERS -ManagementOS -Access -VlanId 5

Add as many as you need

Then disable Hyper V as I'm using VMware workstation

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

After all this time, I cannot get teaming to work. When I setup teaming (ALB or AFT) the teaming adapter is always disabled and diagnostics says there is a problem with the teaming adapter driver..

Tried uninstalling the adapter drivers and reinstalling Intel CD software. I have two adapters, i210 shows driver date of 12/08 and adapter i219 shows 10/26.

Can't use Link Aggregation because my switch does not support it.

What am I doing wrong? I have setup teaming in the past with no issues.

0 Kudos