Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4905 Discussions

Intel 82579V Issue

SGarl
Beginner

<><> Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place <><>

Ok I'll keep this brief.

Problem:- LAN regulary disconnects and reconnets 30 seconds later.

Symptons:- Loose connection to Lan / Internet for around 30 seconds.

Background:- Had this problem with both P8P67 B2 and P8P67 pro boards. I have several other computers connected to the switch (not hub) and they are working fine. Have replaced the lead to no avail. Have even used the same lead in several other computers which works fine.

Config:-

Study

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Server

VOIP

PC

Switch connected to lounge hard wired via outdoor sheilded cat6 lead.

Lounge

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Router

XBOX 360

Wii

<><><>

Message in System Event Logs;-

<><>

Warning message - date time - source = e1cexpress

Event ID = 27

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

- Network link is disconnected

<><>

Then it states its connected again.

Have also tried the following;-

Remove Kaspersky 2011

Ensure ALL power management even OS is disabled

Use IPV4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies

Disable nativue IPv6

Disable tunnel IPv6

Disable IPv6

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disabled SNP;-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]

EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000

EnableTCPA=dword:00000000

EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Have tried driver from Asus MB CD, Asus Website, Your Website, Windows Update all to no avail.

Please help.

0 Kudos
231 Replies
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Michail wrote:

Same issue here.

Bought MoBo with 82579V - Gigabyte X79 UD5 ~3 months ago.

After updating drivers for LAN & BIOS month ago, network connection started dropping when I transfer alot of data via it at speed over 300mbit.

What have you done as far as contacting the people responsible for your hardware implementation? It seems to me that if updating both the BIOS AND Drivers (both at the same time by the looks of things - never a good idea as far as being able to tell precisely what brought on problems) saw this problem start, you should see if the problem returns when only one is updated - so you CAN pinpoint which update brought the problem on.

If the disconnection problem only shows up when transferring at 300 Mbit, rather than going through a pathetic NIC installlation, why not just limit your Max connection speed (within ProSet's Link Speed Tab) to 100 Mbps Full Duplex as a temporary workaround? I realise that's not a fix but at least it should enable you to keep using your native hardware until a permanent solution does become available.

This reminds me of the old addage, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it.

[Edit: Since updating the drivers a month ago, have you tried the even newer ones that've been released since then?]

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

What have you done as far as contacting the people responsible for your hardware implementation? It seems to me that if updating both the BIOS AND Drivers (both at the same time by the looks of things - never a good idea as far as being able to tell precisely what brought on problems) saw this problem start, you should see if the problem returns when only one is updated - so you CAN pinpoint which update brought the problem on.

If the disconnection problem only shows up when transferring at 300 Mbit, rather than going through a pathetic NIC installlation, why not just limit your Max connection speed (within ProSet's Link Speed Tab) to 100 Mbps Full Duplex as a temporary workaround? I realise that's not a fix but at least it should enable you to keep using your native hardware until a permanent solution does become available.

This reminds me of the old addage, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it.

[Edit: Since updating the drivers a month ago, have you tried the even newer ones that've been released since then?]

I was updating drivers and BIOS not just for fun, but because I had other issues, which needed to be fixed. (My system was unstable without BIOS update which had microcode update, and NIC device driver was not working at any bus overclocking).

Now I tried to downgrade NIC drivers to original version which was on CD, and also to the very recent version - it didn't changed anything.

Also tried to upgrade BIOS to the very latest F12 version (I had F10) - and didn't changed anything.

The issue is not only happens at high speed transfers: It takes just seconds to crash at 1000Mbit, about 1-2 minutes at 100Mbit, and 2 hours at 10Mbit half duplex (with 100% network load).

Apparently this issue was always here, I just had less high-speed network traffic.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Michail wrote:

Apparently this issue was always here, I just had less high-speed network traffic.

In light of that new information my original question regarding contact with the board manufacturer still applies - it WOULD be worth contacting the motherboard manufacturer and raising an official Tech Support ticket over the issue (if you haven't already done so). It'd also be worth searching through/posting in any of their motherboard forums about it - you may find other people with the same board experiencing the same troubles and you know what they say about a problem shared....

Dealing with the motherboard company tech support is especially important for a number of reasons.

1. How the Intel NIC hardware has been integrated into the motherboard will influence factors such as reliability and compatibility with 'reference' drivers.

2. Use of overclocking may (just like with the rest of the system) result in unreliable operation of the NIC hardware (again depending on the design of the board but also the extent of overclocking may play a part).

The golden rule with overclocking should apply - if any problems are evident, reset everything to default values with no overclocking at all whilst testing and attempting to repair the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

The golden rule with overclocking should apply - if any problems are evident, reset everything to default values with no overclocking at all whilst testing and attempting to repair the problem.

Yes, at the moment system is at default settings after most recent BIOS reflash, and problem is still here.

I surely will submit a ticket to gigabyte, but I really doubt they would find a magic solution to that.

Although, this is very sad that enthusiast-level motherboards all use same 82579V NIC which is first to fail on bus frequency change.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don't install "advanced network services". Take that option disabled when you install drivers-uninstall old ones first and new ones without advanced network services. That did the trick to me. OK. No eco settings but it works now flawlessly.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

There are some known issues being worked. In some cases driver updates might be enough and in other cases you might need a BIOS update from your system or board manufacturer.

Flying_Kiwi's suggestion to check with the board manufaturer is a very good one. With the many designs, several people might report what sounds like a different issue that has the same root cause. And, because we are talking about network connections, sometimes several people report what sounds like the same issue, but because the motherboard is different, the root cause might be different. When you go through the board manufacturer, you will be dealing with someone who knows the design you are using. And if the BIOS needs an upate, then your board manufacturer will be the only one who can provide a resolution.

By no means does that mean that you should not post in the forums here on Intel. Please believe me that your concerns matter and the right people are seeing your posts. I will continue to share anything that I find out about that might help.

By the way, I recently issued a new computer with an 82579 network connection. Luckily, I am not experiencing any problems with my network connection, but then again, mine is a different design than anyone has reported on in this thread. I only bring this up because what applies to my experieince with the 82579 does not apply to every other design.

I will post again when I have anything new to report. Thanks for your patience and for participating in the community.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

intelabe wrote:

Don't install "advanced network services". Take that option disabled when you install drivers-uninstall old ones first and new ones without advanced network services. That did the trick to me. OK. No eco settings but it works now flawlessly.

Just tried that, didn't helped.

Another bit of information - issue reproduces ONLY when transmitting data, not when receiving.

So this is very unusual usecase for most of the users (it is common to receive alot of data, and not many transmit at network-limited speed for >1minute), so that's probably the reason there is not so much whining.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Greetings everyone,

I'm using a Rev 3.1 Asus P8P67 PRO board on my system and have had the same e1cexpress disconnects from the beginning. I've tried to use quite a many different drivers for the 82579V chip but the problem persisted regardless of the driver version. I've also had some weird disconnects when running some games and got frustrated getting disconnected rather often.

I chased down the disconnects through event manager when I felt like it was worth the shot and I found out that the "Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected." was usually hooked up with the following services entering stopped or running state:

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service

WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

Automatic system time retrieval via internet (i.e The system time has changed to ‎2012‎-‎06‎-‎25T08:24:39.721000000Z from ‎2012‎-‎06‎-‎25T08:24:39.721205300Z.)

So, I disabled the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service on june 23rd and whaddya know; the e1cexpress disconnects ceased, haven't had any of those events so far. Usually I had one of these every 10min-1h. The disconnects didn't stop however and I went and disabled the two lattermost in the list. So far none of the disconnects either but then again I haven't played that much recently.

There were some other events that occured in the vicinity of the e1cexpress disconnects, namely a DHCP error labeled "0x79" stating that that "Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and that the card will try to obtain it on its own. This has happened many times now after the e1cexpress disconnect errors ceased so I don't think it's related.

I'm currently using driver version 11.16.96.0.

Cheers and hope this helps some. I'll update if the e1cexpress disconnects start again.

-Aleksi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Michail wrote:

intelabe wrote:

Just tried that, didn't helped.

Another bit of information - issue reproduces ONLY when transmitting data, not when receiving.

So this is very unusual usecase for most of the users (it is common to receive alot of data, and not many transmit at network-limited speed for >1minute), so that's probably the reason there is not so much whining.

Gigabyte support suggested to 'reinstall windows'. Just as I expected.

So as my patience run out and as I haven't had time for warranty replacement, I bought new LGA2011 board, which haven't had Intel 82579V NIC, in my case it was ASRock X79 Extreme6 (it has Broadcom BCM57781 NIC instead).

It works flawlessly without any changes in installed OS or network, so it definitely was hardware fault of Intel 82579V NIC.

Now I only need to sell old motherboard - so in total I lost some 200$, some 20 hours and some 0.5kg of brain cells thanks to Intel 82579V.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

82579V Any motherboard =

Hows that for your support? Simple enogh!

Time to give us an update! Doubt its only a few with this annoying problem. AND its the same Disconnect issue all have, cause I have the exact same problem that everyone has on all the forums and post's. Been surfing for 2 days now, same shit everywhere.

82579V disconnect on startup like crazy then runs slow after with drops

82579V cable unplugged error

82579V Random disconnect

82579V Drops for 30 seconds then connects

Iv had them all.

Magnus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same thing here.

Asus P8Z77-V, network connection just randomly drops on Windows 7, and so far only reboot seems to help.

Motherboard has 82579V Gigabit NIC, it's connected to HP Gigabit switch, which is in turn connected to Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router running latest DD-WRT offered by Buffalo. I used the generic drivers offered by intel.

I added the HP switch into my setup at the same time I installed the motherboard, so I thought it was at fault, even though my laptop worked fine with it. But even the direct connection to Buffalo does not seem to work any better.

Buffalo router is 100Mbps one, so I tried reinstalling 82579V using the drivers offered by Asus, not installing any advanced stuff, forcing the connection to 100Mbps full duplex and disabling all power saving stuff I could.

I hope that helps, but it is a bit appalling that you need to jump through all these hoops to get such a basic feature working properly on your machine (and I don't even know if it does work properly, just did all that based on the comments found all over the internet!)

If this does not help, I guess only way is to start looking for a motherboard with different chip, which I would rather not do. Asus offers something with dual NIC, intel and some othe manufacturer, but that +60 euros right there.

I've been using my Ubuntu 12.04 installation lot less than Windows, but as far as I remember, I have not encountered such an issue on Ubuntu (yet).

Hope things will get better and I hope driver fix is all that is needed.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

There is a program called ( Driver sweeper ) I would sugest running that program . You will be supprised how many NIC Drivers you have , Down load the one you need save it to your desktop , than get rid of all of the drivers you don't need.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hello to users still having dropped connections with the 82579,

First of all, if you are new to this thread, make sure you have installed the latest drivers and software. You can find the latest Windows software in http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713 Download Center. The latest drivers do fix connection issues for some users, so try this first. (Note: The package at the link above works for Windows XP and Vista too, not just Windows 7.)

If you have already installed the latest drivers and are still having connection problems, then I could use your help collecting some detailed information. I have been told by more than one engineer that the Ethernet signal received from some older Ethernet devices are not always good quality. The latest driver made some changes that helped in some of these cases, and the latest driver resolves the connection issues with devices we have tested. So now we would like to find devices where the connection issues still exist so we can investigate why some of you still do not have stable connections.

Please post the information about the link partner device at the other end of the Ethernet cable. Please include all the numbers from the label. Many devices went through several hardware revisions even though the model number did not change. You can usually tell because the revision number or some other number on the label has changed. So, please supply the label information along with the make and model. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, check on the manufacturer's web sites to make sure that your link partner device is running the latest version of firmware. Not every device can be upgraded, but for those devices that can be upgraded, a "new" device often needs an upgrade as soon as you buy it. I know this has happened to me more than once.

Thanks again for your help and for your patience.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just noticed something really weird, which *never* happened on my old Abit IP35-E setup (which features a single Gigabit LAN port using the Marvell 88E8056 controller).

I have installed the Qt SDK development kit and connected a MeeGo device (N9) to my computer using USB-cable (Qt SDK provides the driver). The device shows up as an "Ethernet/RNDIS based device" in the Windows device manager, under "Network adapters", right below "Inter(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection".

When I unplug the MeeGo device, "Ethernet/RNDIS based device" disapperars from the Device Manager and my internet connection goes down. I plug it back in, and the connection comes back up. I repeated this five times with the same results every time:

Once connected, disconnecting the USB-cable from the MeeGo device makes my internet connection go down (on the intel 82579V), plug the cable back into the device and the internet connection comes back up.

As I said, weird. But luckily intel has also some MeeGo knowledge (or is it Tizen nowadays : )

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Like I wrote in message # 78, I now know at least one identified way to reproduce 82579V dropping internet connection alltogether. I have no idea of the structure of a Windows network driver, so I can only guess why adding and removing a network adapter kills connection over 82579V.

But because the same setup, with a different motherboard, having a Gigabit NIC from Marvel seemed to work perfectly, I do not see why the reason would be bad ethernet signal.

Here you can some find information about my setup: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y677rzu5ps0p7x5/BOAtWuFYHe Dropbox - intel 82579V Issue - Simplify your life

In short, Asus P8Z77V motherboard, Windows 7 64 bit, clean install, NIC drivers from intel downloaded a few days ago and Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router with the latest firmware offered. Cable between is 3 meters + perhaps 2 meters of cabling inside the wall.

You don't provide a debugging / logging version of 82579V drivers? I could take logs if that would help.

Or alternatively hints of what network card to buy..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It seems that the 82579V has a problem with Router's/Modems! I had to set mine to BridgeMode and now it works as intended. THO would love to get a fix for this stupid shit.

Magnus

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@mimotton

Thanks for supplying the details including the photo of your router label. I will be passing on the information to the engineers.

I cannot provide a debug driver, but thanks for the offer to help.

If you want to use a different Ethernet connection, try an Internet search for "CT Deskotp Adapter" to find a vendor for a plug-in adapter that you could use.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Mark, you keep posting the drivers but I can only see Windows 7 drivers for the Intel 82579 card... I, and a lot of other people, have the Intel 82579V card... do the drivers work on both cards or what?

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Yes, the Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection and the Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection both use the same drivers that are listed for the Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Mark H

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Some of you might notice the new version 17.2 webpacks are posted. The driver is not updated in this release, so you don't need to try out this version if you already installed version 17.0 or 17.1. All three of these packages have driver version 11.16.96.0 for the 82579V and 82579LM.

What is new is an updated driver for Windows 8 to replace the inbox driver that ships with Windows available in http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21642 Download Center. If you are using 16.8 or earlier, or if you have Windows 8, then install this version.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

we have problems with several 82579LM, 82577LM and 82578DM adapters that could be related to these problems. After some time (a couple of hours or a couple of days) the wired connection stops working. When this happens nothing seems to help and we have to reboot. Windows sees that the link is active if the cable is connected but nothing else works. From the managed switch I can see that there is a little bit of traffic and the switch sees the adapter's MAC address but Windows is unable to get an IP address from our DHCP server.

When this happens and we disable the adapter, it cannot be enabled before a reboot. It kind of enables but if we then go for example to the adapter's Resources tab (IRQs etc.) the dialog hangs. And it says no driver is loaded. But all this works before trying to disable/enable the adapter.

So it seems that the driver has somehow crashed and only a reboot can fix it. And when trying to reboot or shut down Windows says "Shutting down" forever and we have to force power off. We have tried several driver versions (from Lenovo and Intel) but none of these are stable. WIFI continues to work when this happens so not everything with Windows networking breaks.

Is there something we could try?

0 Kudos