Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4974 Discussions

Intel Boot Agent GE v0.4.09

Mischa
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to build a personal supercomputer with four Gigabyte X570S, with embedded 'Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V' network card, motherboard based 16-core computers. To avoid installing and configuring as many operating systems as I have nodes, I want to use PXE (Intel Boot Agent GE v0.4.09 (X570S) and PXELINUX 6.04 (syslinux.org)).

But, once every so many attempts to boot, I get the following error message:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Because there is nothing physically wrong with the cable, a simple reboot suffices to get the system up and running, but I'm really bothered by this 'press a key'. PXELINUX takes care of such problems by rebooting automatically after a number of seconds, such that manual intervention (attaching a monitor, a keyboard, getting a chair etc.) is avoided. It would help if the Intel Boot Agent acted in a similar fashion.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Mischa Baars.
0 Kudos
50 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mischa,

We highly appreciate your kind understanding on this matter. 

We just received an update from our engineers. Please see below details and let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Please be informed that our engineering team will look into updating the PXE driver in the future, but we are not able to perform it this time. There will be no ETA on this and rest assured that we will closely monitor this request and provide you an update once a month. 

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mischa
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Once again, you surprise me a little. Why is it that your engineers are unable to perform at this time? Is something wrong with the food at Intel? Is a computer to your engineers what a piano is to me?

The BIOS interrupt to reboot the computer is interrupt 19H. It should take you less than a day to replace the existing interrupt 16H magic with an interrupt 19H. By that time, we will at least be able to boot the cluster without having to attach as many keyboards and monitors as there are nodes in the cluster. Fixing the errors that precede waiting for user input, should take you no longer than one week.

Is there anything in between your 'this is taking too long' and an estimated time of arrival(?) that surpasses the life expectancy of all participants of this conversation?

I think it is reasonable to assume that the update can be ready in about four weeks.

Best regards,

Mischa Baars.

https://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/COE/aimane/assembly/pagegen-141.aspx.htm

0 Kudos
Mischa
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Since you haven't come up with an answer within the three days you normally hold on to, I think it's best we try to put an end to this conversation.

In doing so, let me at least offer my help. I have experience with programming assembly since 1990, know all the ins and outs of the language and I am perfectly able to fix problems like the one at hand within a reasonable amount of time, whereas you and your engineers at Intel seem to be missing the ability to solve this problem at all. So... if you want me to fix these problems with the I255-V firmware, please do let me know. It'd be my pleasure!

Hope this mail finds you well.

Best regards,

Mischa Baars.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hello Mischa,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well.

We sincerely apologized and we appreciate your help on this matter. Our engineers has stated that they will be putting this in the next PXE update however it will not be anytime soon for now.

We apologize again if this matter is taking longer than expected for it to resolve.

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mischa
Beginner

Hello Faez,

It is the better approach to PXE network booting. So...

Great to hear that! I'll be looking forward to the new and improved boot agent.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Mischa Baars.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Mischa ,

Glad we be could of help. Please kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries regarding on this matter.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Mischa,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a follow up to check if you still have questions or clarifications. Please do not hesitate to let us know and we will assist you accordingly.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hello Mischa,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a follow up to check if you still have questions or clarifications. We will await for your reply. As for now, we will be closing your thread.

If you want to continue support, please reply to this community thread and we will reopen your case or create a new one so that we can continue to support you. 

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Mischa
Beginner

Hi Faez,

Thank you for your help  and thank you for your follow up. No other questions of clarifications.

You can consider this thread closed.

Best regards,

Mischa Baars.

0 Kudos