Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4919 Discussions

Intel XL710-QDA2 - nvmupdate failed now getting access error

dalbano
Beginner

I have recently bought an Intel X710-QDA2 from ebay, branded as Intel, not OEM, and I tried to update the firmware via 700Series_NVMUpdatePackage_v8_30_Linux but nvmupdate64e failed in the middle of the execution and now I get an "access error" when I run the tool.

To update the firmware I have run

nvmupdate64e -b -rd

This is now the output when I rerun the tool

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.37.1.1
Copyright(C) 2013 - 2021 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.
Inventory in progress. Please wait [*.........]

Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B Status
=== ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============
01) Intel(R) I350 Gigabit Network 1.99(1.63) 1521 00:002 Update not
Connection available
02) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged n/a(n/a) 1583 00:006 Access error
Network Adapter XL710-Q2

Tool execution completed with the following status: An error occurred accessing the device.
Press any key to exit.

I have tried to restore the backup but the tool doesn't recognize the card anymore so no luck.

The original firmware version was 4.36, so I have tried also to use NVMUpdatePackage_700_Series_v4_53 but without any luck, I face the same error.

Can't post the output of ethtool as the interface is not visible anymore.

I have also tried to download and update the kernel module i40e building it from the source, but still I get the same error, this is the dmesg out with the kernel module built from source

[  437.438044] i40e: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[  437.438368] i40e: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[  437.440463] i40e: Intel(R) 40-10 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Network Driver - version 2.15.9
[  437.440466] i40e: Copyright(c) 2013 - 2021 Intel Corporation.
[  457.334059] i40e 0000:06:00.0: PF reset failed: -15
[  457.334067] i40e 0000:06:00.0: Entering recovery mode due to repeated FW resets. This may take several minutes. Refer to the Intel(R) Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide.
[  457.334727] i40e: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -15
[  477.221803] i40e 0000:06:00.1: PF reset failed: -15
[  477.221810] i40e 0000:06:00.1: Entering recovery mode due to repeated FW resets. This may take several minutes. Refer to the Intel(R) Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide.
[  477.222445] i40e: probe of 0000:06:00.1 failed with error -15

The PBA is H48722-003

The serial number is 6805CA340550

Is there any way I can flash back a working NVM?

Thanks!

Daniele

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello dalbano,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am really sorry to hear that. for us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Can you share a photo of the network card focusing on markings and branding on both sides?
  2. Can you tell us why did you update the firmware? Are you having some issue?
  3. After the failed firmware update, can you still use the network card? Can you still connect to the network?
  4. Can you share the link in ebay where you purchased the card?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
dalbano
Beginner

Hi Michael,

1. Can you share a photo of the network card focusing on markings and branding on both sides?

Pictures attached

2. Can you tell us why did you update the firmware? Are you having some issue?

I bought this card as a part of an expansion I am doing in my homelab to improve the testing and bench-marking capabilities for my open source project cachegrand ( https://github.com/danielealbano/cachegrand ).

As I don't have a 40gbe switch I was planning to use a splitter and use the card in 4x10 mode but the configuration utility wasn't working and investigating I discovered that a firmware upgrade was in order as the cards were running on version that was not supporting this capability.

3. After the failed firmware update, can you still use the network card? Can you still connect to the network?

No, meanwhile the card is "detected" by the OS (I tried both Windows 2019 and multiple versions of Ubuntu Linux 18.04 and 20.04), the i40e kernel module / driver report that the card is going into recovery mode but it actually doesn't (even after waiting more than 1 hour)

4. Can you share the link in ebay where you purchased the card?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/164930350056

As additional information, I have also bought an Intel XL710-QDA1 from the same seller that came with the same firmware and on this one, as I was worried the update tool could have killed the card as well, I did a version by version update and I was able to perform a sequential update from 4.36 to 4.42 and then to 4.53. Once I did the update I was able to switch to the 4x10 mode and it's working as expected.

Thanks for the help!

Daniele

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dalbano,

Thank you for the quick response. Upon checking the markings I am very sorry to inform you that the card that you purchased is an OEM. That is the reason why there was a problem in updating the firmware because you cannot install our NVM file to an OEM card and you cannot also use an NVM file from another OEM card to an Intel retail card because it may damage the card.

I tried to check the OEM origin of the card, however all I can see in our database is the part number H48722-003 is an OEM. I also tried to run the YottaMark Code and I am getting an invalid code result. You can also run the code here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Regarding this issue, it is best to contact your reseller and try to return the card since it is an OEM unit.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dalbano
Beginner

Hi,

mmm I just tried to run the same verification with YottaMark and it says that is a valid code, I attached a picture.

Thanks!

Daniele

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dalbano,

Thank you for the update. This is weird, when I run the same markings yesterday, it was giving me an invalid code. I will try to have this card checked further to identify it it is an OEM or retail card. By the way, can you provide the links of the NVM file update that you used? Did you also try the card on a different system to check if the card is no longer detected.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dalbano
Beginner

Hi,

no worries, and thanks for all the help!

I used the archive 700Series_NVMUpdatePackage_v8_30_Linux contained in the zip archive downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30600/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-700-Series.

Yes, I tried with a different machine as well with the same problem. the card is detected by the kernel module on Linux or the drivers on Windows report an error when trying to start it and the nvmupdate tool report access error.

Thanks,

Daniele

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dalbano,

Thank you for the update and providing all the information that we requested. We will verify all of these details and check the card. Please give us 2 to 3 business days to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dalbano,

I hope you are having a good day. Upon checking your inquiry, we found out that you have a similar case with us which is 05155752. Since this is already being handled, we will close this thread now to avoid duplicate request.

If you need assistance again in the future, please post a new question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos