Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

Regarding NIC Card (4V7G2) with Ethernet Adapter INTEL ETHRNET 10G DUAL PORT X5 support jumbo frames

Rajeshwari
Beginner

Hi,

We are trying to enable the jumbo frames on 10G ethernet interface to 9014 bytes but it is not happening.

could you please support us to debug the issue.

Thank You

Rajeshwari

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rajeshwari,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask first for you to provide us a picture of the markings both front and back of the network adapter so we can validate if you are using a retail or an OEM adapter. 

We would also like to know why you are needing enable the jumbo frames? What would be your purpose so that we can provide an accurate information. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rajeshwari
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thank you for your time taken to reply to our query.

1. Since this DELL machine is under warranty and we can't remove it. So providing the picture of front and back side of network adapter is not possible. but definitely I can provide you the Network Adapter part number and which is 4V7G2.

And Network adapter name is: INTEL ETHRNET 10G DUAL PORT X550T

We are sending an image data to ECU unit via Ethernet interface. Since the data is big and ECU unit expects the Ethernet packets of size 9000. Which is possible only through Jumbo Frames. 

Hope the above information is helpful for you to understand our requirement.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajeshwari

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rajeshwari,

Thank you very much for advising, since you are using a Dell OEM adapter we'd like to set your expectations that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet adapter, we have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

As per checking we have an article for "Jumbo Frames and Jumbo Packets Notes" to our adapters, you can check the link below for reference. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006639/ethernet-products.html

As per checking on our article, the X550 adapter that you have is not on the list that don't support Jumbo frames however its stated that "jumbo frames have a frame size limit of 4K bytes". Since you are trying to send 9014 bytes which is equivalent to 9.014 kilobytes, it means the file size is still too large and that's why its still not working. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rajeshwari
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thank you for your support.

But as you suggested that jumbo frames have a frame size limit of 4K bytes. We tried to reduce the size from 9014 bytes to 2048 bytes which is less than 4K bytes.

We are able to change the Jumbo frames size less than or equal to 1500 bytes. More than 1500 bytes, it is not supporting.

Rajeshwari_0-1659939060939.png

Thanks and Regards,

Rajeshwari

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rajeshwari,

Thank you very much for providing us an update. We will have this further check before providing you our recommendations, please provide us some time. Would it be okay if we can provide an update with in 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rajeshwari
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thank you so much for quick response.

Requesting you to provide us the recommendations as soon as possible, It would be great if we get the response tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Rajeshwari

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rajeshwari,

As per further checking, unfortunately as much as we want to provide further assistance we are unable to since we have limited support for the Dell adapter that you are using. We would highly recommend for you to get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized firmware/drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you would not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. 

You can contact Dell via the link we have provided.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/lp/contact-us

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rajeshwari
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thank you so much for your extended support. Definitely we are also trying to resolve the issue by connecting with DELL technical team.

You can close this thread.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajeshwari

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rajeshwari,

Thank you very much for responding and for understanding, we will now proceed in closing this thread. For future concerns or questions, just feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos