Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

E810 MTU issue

rmatm
Beginner

Issue:  Changing the MTU (via ifconfig or ip commands) after the NIC is up causes the NIC to go offline/flap.  The NICs are involved in automated testing and the MTU is changed several times during the process.  This does not occur with other NICs (Intel x710 for instance).

Model(s) - E810-XXV-2, E810-C-Q2

OS - CentOS 7.9.2009

Kernel - 5.4.178-1 (and 3.x)

Driver Version(s) - 1.6.4, 1.7.16, 1.8.8, 1.8.9

FW - 3.20 0x8000d853 1.3146.0

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we can provide any recommendation, can we ask first for you to provide us a picture of the markings both front and back of the affected NIC that you are referring so we can validate if its a retail or an OEM adapter. 

Can we also ask why are you changing the MTU and what would be the reason aside from doing some tests so that we can better understand the situation. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
rmatm
Beginner

Pics attached.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Thank you very much for providing us the requested information. Please provide us some time to have this check before we can provide you our recommendations. Would it be okay if we can ask you to provide us between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
rmatm
Beginner

2-3 days is fine.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

As per further checking on your concern, please refer to our article on "Changing the MTU size of Intel® Network Adapter".

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038224/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Please take note, modifying the MTU size of an Intel Network Adapter is dependent on the connecting equipment configuration (router/switch). You may need to contact your switch/router manufacturer to confirm if matching the MTU frame size is required on your set up. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
rmatm
Beginner

That's not the issue.  We know how to properly set / change the MTU of an e810 under Linux.  The issue is that doing so "on the fly" causes the NIC to become 100% unresponsive. The only way to get it back up is to run ifdown <int>; ifup <int> .

All other Intel NICs that we use do not have this issue. Only the e810s.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

We do apologize if our recommendations was not able to help you with your concern. We will try to further check if we can provide an alternative recommendations however we cannot guarantee for an answer or a fix. For issues regarding with MTU, we can only provide instructions on how to modify it however this is still dependent on the connecting equipment (router/switch).  

Can we ask if you have also reached with your router/switch manufacturer to check for any recommendation on their end? 

Please provide us some time to have this further check. Would it be okay if we can ask you to provide us between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
rmatm
Beginner

There is currently no router, switch, or other piece of network equipment in the mix.  At this moment our server pairs are directly connected to each other.  Problem persists.  Again, only with the e810 cards.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Thank you very much for advising us. We are currently coordinating this with our engineers to further check and we do apologize will not be able to provide you an update today. Rest assure however that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Firstly, we do apologize for the long delay in providing an update as the case was escalated to our engineers for further checking.

As per advised by our engineers, the patch that fixed this issue was not included in the 1.9.7 ice driver however, it should be in the latest driver that was just released 1.9.11.

This can be downloaded from our Download Center or Sourceforge:

Sourceforge Link: 1.9.11

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/ice%20stable/1.9.11/

Download Center Link: 1.9.11

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19630/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-e810-series-devices-under-linux.html

Please try using our latest patch and advise us if it will resolve your issue. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello rmatm,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos