FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5741 Discussions

Bidirectional LVDS buffer "Can't place node -- node is a differential I/O node"

ADufl
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a sensor to EP4CE40F23C7 Cyclone IV E FPGA.

It's supposed to be connected to a bidirectional LVDS drivers, I did the proof of concept with a board with such drivers and it works.

I would like to achieve the same thing without the middle board. The board supporting the FPGA have some FPGA pins directly connected to 2.54mm header pin, including U9 (IO DIFFIO_B13p) and V8 (IO DIFFIO_B13n). I intanciated the buffer_lvds_bidir via the Quartus wizzard and connected as follows :

inst_buffer_lvds_bidir : buffer_lvds_bidir   port map(   datain => sl_DATA_DV_j404,   dataio => io_sensor_data_p,   dataio_b => io_sensor_data_n,   dataout => sl_DATA_RC_j404,   oe => sl_DE_j404,   oe_b => not(sl_DE_j404)   );  

Here is the *.qsf extract :

set_location_assignment PIN_V8 -to sensor_data_n

set_location_assignment PIN_U9 -to sensor_data_p

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVTTL" -to sensor_data_p[0]

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVTTL" -to sensor_data_n[0]

set_instance_assignment -name CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 8MA -to sensor_data_p[0]

set_instance_assignment -name CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 8MA -to sensor_data_n[0]

set_instance_assignment -name SLEW_RATE 2 -to sensor_data_n[0]

set_instance_assignment -name SLEW_RATE 2 -to sensor_data_p[0]

And what I get stopping Fitter step :

Error (176172): Can't place node "sensor_data_p[0]" -- node is a differential I/O node

Error (171000): Can't fit design in device

Could you please guide me to what is the matter ?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Adrien,

It might be caused by pin assignment issue. Is it possible to share your design so that i can debug further?

Thank You.

ADufl
Beginner

The pin assignment concerning the bidirectional LVDS signal is given in the form of the *.qsf extract. If a larger view of the design is needed, I may need to do some proofing beforehand.

Thinking about it, it appears to me that it doesn't do much sense to do LVDS with 3.3V IOs. Am I wrong ?

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Adrian,

Yes, you must use LVDS I/O Standard instead of two LVTTL.

Thank You.

ADufl
Beginner

Hello,

The matter is the IOs I have access to are in a 3.3V bank so I'm kind of stuck...

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

I understand about the situation. But you will need to use LVDS I/O standard in order to use LVDS. Hope for your understanding.