FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6400 Discussions

Can a 1000mbps RGMII TSE communicate with a 100mbps PC?

Zarquin
New Contributor II

Dear community,

is it possible to establish an Ethernet connection from Cyclone V Dev Kit to my 100Mbps LAN PC? And if so, what configuration is necessary?

On the FPGA, a Triple Speed Ethernet IP MAC is connected via RGMII to the Marvell 88E1111 PHY on the board.

I have configured the MAC and PHY registers.
MAC Cmd Config: 0x2033 (SW Reset, Pad en, RX en, TX en)
Marvell Ctrl Reg: 0x9140 (SW Reset, 1000 Mbps, Full Duplex)

Do I need to explicitly configure the Marvell Ctrl Register to 100Mbps to establish a 100Mbps connection to my PC or does the PHY do this automatically?

The Marvell has the hardware configuration:

config 0, config 1, config 3 = 000 (PHY Address = 00000, Disable 125MHz clock)

config 2, config 5 = 111 (ANEG =1110 = Auto-Neg, advertise all capabilities, prefer Master)

config 4 = 011 (HWCFG = 1011 = RGMII to copper)

config 6 = 010

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
RGMII reference clocks and data rate changes with ethernet speed and has to switched in MAC. Reading negotiated speed through MI is the usual way to handle it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
unless you force a PHY to 1GBPS only, it will autonegotiate the highest available speed with the peer, in this case 100 MBPS. There are a few cases where autonegotiation may fail, e.g. the peer advertizes 100 MBPS but the cable is too bad.
0 Kudos
Zarquin
New Contributor II

Hi FvM,

thank you very much for the answer.

Do I have to adjust the tx_clock to the autonegotiated speed in the PHY?

More precisely: Do I have to query the speed from the corresponding Marvell PHY register and adjust the tx_clock frequency generated by the FPGA to the actual speed? Or can the tx_clock continue to operate at 125MHz ?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
yes, RGMII reference clocks and data rate change according to 10/100/1000 ethernet speed.
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
RGMII reference clocks and data rate changes with ethernet speed and has to switched in MAC. Reading negotiated speed through MI is the usual way to handle it.
Zarquin
New Contributor II

Hello FvM,

I see.

Any idea from which Marvell 88E1111 PHY register I can read the current ethernet speed? I tried register 4_1.11:10, but that was apparently wrong.  Now I am at a loss.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
unfortunately I don't have 88E1111 documentation at hand. Sorry.
0 Kudos
Zarquin
New Contributor II

OK I have found it. Seems to be register 17 (below). And apparently the connection does have 1000Mbps. Because the read register 17 shows: 0xAC00

So far, everything seems to be right.
But now I'm really wondering why I can still only receive packets but not send any packets, even though all TX Avalon-ST signals are set correctly in Signal Tap II?
I am testing with Wireshark. Nothing is coming in and the TX LED on the board is not lit either. Only the RX LED flashes.

I read about timing issues. https://ethernetfmc.com/docs/user-guide/rgmii-timing/ 

But can this really be the reason why nothing is sent at all?

reg17.png

0 Kudos
Zarquin
New Contributor II

Hi FvM,

my initial question has been answered.
I will start a new thread for the TX problem
Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Paveetirra_Srie
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. 

If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts.

Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos