FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5960 Discussions

Cyclone V E FPGA development kit not responding

Sameer-sahu
New Contributor I

Currently, we brought a new Cyclone V E development board kit. On 5th April 2023, we tried to flash a simple blink-led FPGA code into the device by connecting the board through the web UI portal. The code flashed perfectly, but we didn't notice any change in LED status. Then we plug out the power connection. On 5th April 2023, we plugged in the power supply; at that time, neither the user LEDs were glowing, nor the IP address was displayed on the LCD of the board. Now we cannot connect the development board through web UI or reset the development board to default mode. Can your team please guide how to fix the bugs and flash a new FPGA code in this device through web UI and JTAG mode? I am attaching a screenshot of the current FPGA development kit image (used Quartus Prime 19.1 for generating sof files, in Quartus 19.1 in the programmer, inbuilt USB_Blaster was recognized but was showing 'failed to connect to the JTAG chain' when we started programming, and auto-detect didn't show the exact FPGA part number as well). Kindly respond as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sameer-sahu
New Contributor I

This issue is resolved. Actually I didn't configure JTAG DPI switch perfectly. Thats why JTAG port was not working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lixy
Employee

Hi there,

I can not find the screenshot you mentioned. Can you try to upload it again?

Let me first figure out the situation: You tried both Web UI and Quartus Programmer software to connect to the Devkit through JTAG. Both of them cannot connect to the FPGA. Programmer detects a wrong JTAG ID.

Thanks & Regards,

Xiaoyan

0 Kudos
Sameer-sahu
New Contributor I

Hi lixy, thanks for the response, appreciate it
I have attached the image(current state of the kit and current state of auto-detect in programmer), 

what you figured is right, Earlier(when the kit was responding) in the programmer while giving auto-detect, it never detected the board with correct part number (5CEFA7F31I7), it was showing something similar to this but exactly not this.

0 Kudos
lixy
Employee

Hi,

I checked the screenshot of Quartus.

Normally, the reason of "unable to scan JTAG chain" could be:

1, FPGA power defect;

2, USB Blaster loose;

3, USB Blaster Driver problem;

As for the "On-board hardware programming is disabled" sentence and Web UI part, I will further check the problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Xiaoyan

0 Kudos
lixy
Employee

Hi,

Is the screenshot you showed Programmer 19.1?

Are you able to use a lower version?

Also, I just checked the error information again. The "Unable to scan device chain. On-board programming hardware is disabled." seems to be a common Error information when JTAG chain problem occurs.

Please still firstly check the three possible reasons I listed before: Try to make Blaster tighter to avoid contact problem; Test the voltage of Power rails.

Thanks & Regards,

Xiaoyan

0 Kudos
Sameer-sahu
New Contributor I

This issue is resolved. Actually I didn't configure JTAG DPI switch perfectly. Thats why JTAG port was not working.

0 Kudos
lixy
Employee

Hi,

Happy to hear that your problem is resolved. I should also think of this possibility!

If there's no more questions, I will mark this issue as resolved.

Additionally, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to fill out our survey. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve our support quality.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Thanks & Regards,

Xiaoyan

0 Kudos